Theresa May is 'anti-police', says Liberal Democrat Ed Davey
The Liberal Democrat home affairs spokesman, Ed Davey, has accused Theresa May of “bashing the police” as he sought to paint his party as the natural defenders of law and order.
As Lib Dem members gather for their spring conference in Southport, Davey will use a speech on Saturday to step up the party’s attacks on the government over police cuts.
“It should be obvious that a party that is a defender of freedom should be the party of the police, because they protect our freedoms,” he told the Guardian.
He suggested cuts to police numbers under the Tories, together with the government’s... read more
- 16:48 Boy, 11, mauled by dogs in park forced to re-home own pets
- 16:48 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:48 Man, 75, pops into shelter every day and has a nap with cats
- 16:45 Thief smashes his way into Kapow and steals claw hammer in string...
- 16:45 Man arrested outside Buckingham Palace on suspicion of having Taser
- 16:42 Spreading the flood resilience message
- 16:40 Man held over 'Taser' at Buckingham Palace
- 16:38 Leeds spice: Everything you should know about how the drug is...
- 16:37 Mablethorpe runners complete Humber Coastal Half
- 16:36 Thug stamped on woman’s head repeatedly then trashed her home
- 16:36 Labour pledge to fund alcohol care team in every NHS England hospital
- 16:36 Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri SLAMS Premier League scheduling after...
- 16:33 How to spot signs of a heart attack, ahead of World Heart Day
- 16:32 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:31 ‘Time to reflect on another young life being taken in our city’...
- 16:31 ‘Extremely challenging' night for officers in Sheffield who dealt...
- 16:31 Sheffield Supertram passengers warned of cancellations on purple route
- 16:26 Katerina by James Frey – digested read
- 16:25 'Every fan wants one in their team' - Leeds United expert on...
- 16:24 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:21 Anthony Joshua: Critics must now shut up after modern day great...
- 16:21 'Multiple vehicle' pile-up on M6 in Lancashire
- 16:20 Timeline: Flashback to 1969
- 16:20 Police looking for missing boy, 15, who has links to Leicestershire
- 16:20 Watch moment tractor explodes as firefighters tackle blazing...
- 16:18 Kilmarnock 2 Celtic 1: Hoops legend brands team 'very ordinary'...
- 16:17 Welfare spending for UK's poorest shrinks by £37bn
- 16:16 Rudstone Walk boss speaks out after shock closure of wedding venue
- 16:16 Hartlepool health chiefs pledge to ‘dive deep’ to tackle drug and...
- 16:14 Pardoned film-maker James Ricketson lands back in Australia