Theresa May: A general election isn't in the national interest
Prime Minister Theresa May has said it would "not be in the national interest" for a general election to take place before the UK leaves the European Union in March 2019.
Mrs May told journalists accompanying her to New York she was focused on delivering Brexit.
The next general election is not due until 2022.
But Labour has been demanding an earlier vote if MPs reject any deal struck between the UK and the EU.
Labour votes to keep referendum option Corbyn: More EU talks if deal rejected Immigration cut 'shouldn't hurt economy' At the weekend Downing Street dismissed a newspaper... read more
- 00:49 Brexit: What would it mean for UK pensioners living in Europe?
- 00:49 What has really happened since Macpherson's report
- 00:47 New strategy to help deal with dementia issue in Lincolnshire is...
- 00:32 Rory McIlroy shooting for a Mexico stand-off with Dustin Johnson
- 00:32 Chris Eubank Jr beats James DeGale to send Londoner towards retirement
- 00:29 Oscars 2019: How will the ceremony change this year?
- 00:28 Tymoshenko v Tymoshenko: Funny business at the polls
- 00:28 Australian farmers' long road after mass cattle deaths
- 00:28 Gambling addict with brain injury spent £210,000
- 00:28 Supermarkets misleading shoppers on healthy food, say nutritionists
- 00:24 How Preston North End's players rated in their win over Millwall -...
- 00:19 Greece's invisible minority - the Macedonian Slavs
- 00:18 Kim Jong Un boards train to head to summit with Trump in Vietnam
- 00:17 'He lost control' - Craig Hignett reacts to remarkable refereeing...
- 00:15 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:15 Observer sudoku
- 00:11 Scots activewear brand launches jacket made out of coffee grounds
- 00:11 Two injured after major 11-vehicle crash on M8 in central Glasgow
- 00:11 Neil Lennon: The possibility of Celtic winning a treble treble is...
- 00:11 Iain Morrison: French thrilling in full flight but Scots tough...
- 00:07 Review: Ford’s Focus, Edge and Active
- 00:07 Warren Buffett takes swipe at Trump in shareholder letter
- 00:02 Eddie Jones will not rule out title as Warren Gatland chases grand...
- 23:50 Euan McColm: Moral courage of TIG dissidents won’t cut it
- 23:49 Arsenal ready to beat Manchester City and Chelsea to £40m...
- 23:49 Chris Eubank Jr drops James DeGale twice on way to convincing...
- 23:48 Leeds United: Key win over Bolton but Bielsa unhappy at more missed...
- 23:44 ‘Robust and committed’ MK Dons delight boss Tisdale
- 23:39 Stop delays over premature baby leave, MP warns
- 23:33 The Big Interview: James Withers of Scotland Food & Drink