There could be more cases of flu than the NHS can handle
The NHS could become completely overwhelmed by cases of flu this winter.
An expert has warned that routine operations could ‘cease for several months’ if hospitals have to deal with a major flu outbreak this winter.
Planned – or elective – operations such as knee or hip replacements could be postponed or cancelled if the NHS struggles to deal with the additional demands of a bad flu season, the Society for Acute Medicine (SAM) said.
More than nine in 10 health and care leaders across England are ‘concerned’ about their organisation’s ability to cope this winter, according to a separate... read more
- 10:01 Inside the council house set to be sold because nobody wants to...
- 10:01 Warning over Purple Drank - the potentially deadly cough syrup drug...
- 10:00 Ian Wright blasts Ivan Gazidis after controversial Arsenal exit
- 10:00 Celtic v Rosenborg TV channel, live stream, kick-off time, odds and...
- 10:00 Ram raiders fail in bid to steal cash machine from Doncaster shop
- 09:59 In this week’s Herald. . .
- 09:59 New York inmate's golf drawings lead to exoneration in murder
- 09:59 Former Mansfield primary school teacher who sexually assaulted...
- 09:58 Malorie Blackman will publish a fifth book in her Noughts & Crosses...
- 09:58 Everything you need to know about Ripon's new Remembrance garden
- 09:57 Morecambe’s volunteer lifeboat crew launch to man in water
- 09:56 Drugs taken from outside home in Maryport
- 09:56 Four children killed in horror crash between train and cargo bike...
- 09:56 Mum worked as prostitute to win custody of baby she's accused of...
- 09:54 Leyonhjelm argues comments about Sarah Hanson-Young would boost her...
- 09:54 Thames Valley police officer warned over death in custody
- 09:54 What’s on in the Pocklington and district area over the next couple...
- 09:54 Work begins on flooding scheme
- 09:54 Shoppers in Lichfield can pick up festive mince pies – in September!
- 09:53 Motorcycle stolen in Workington
- 09:51 Wakefield Council leader Peter Box vows to stay on in role
- 09:51 Major route into Northampton at a standstill after bus fire
- 09:51 Ram raiders fail in bid to steal cash machine from Doncaster shop
- 09:51 Heart of Your Community 2018 - vote for your Charity Champion
- 09:51 Chris Grayling refuses to take blame for rail timetable chaos
- 09:50 Organisers of hospital protest march hoping for a huge turn out
- 09:49 What to stream and download this week
- 09:49 Rugby mayor encourages residents to sign pledge to improve their...
- 09:48 SIX miles of delays as police race to crash on A1 near Stamford
- 09:47 Dutch rail crash: Four children killed on cargo bike