The women who have less power than you think
The discovery that more men than women hold positions of power rarely comes as a surprise. What may be more unexpected is that things are not always as they seem when women appear to have equality.
Countries can sometimes stand out for their efforts at getting women into positions of power.
Take, for example, Rwanda's appointment of a cabinet in which half of the posts went to women. Its move came just days after a gender-balanced cabinet was named in Ethiopia.
Elsewhere in the world, there are many striking examples of women having equality with men, or even outperforming them, in other... read more
- 16:11 The four Preston North End players ranked among most in-form in the...
- 16:11 Move away from short jail terms, justice secretary says
- 16:11 19 pictures from the Wakefield Hospice 10k Road Run over the years...
- 16:10 Alesha MacPhail murder trial: 'accused Googled DNA', jury told
- 16:10 'Air Cocaine' drug-trafficking trial begins in France
- 16:10 Men jailed for Milnthorpe digger cash machine raid
- 16:08 Mum and three children left ‘counting pennies’ after husband died...
- 16:08 Four youths under police investigation after Leeds gas main fire
- 16:08 Three bald puppies dumped by hooded man in vet practice
- 16:08 Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit target rule breaking drivers in Codnor
- 16:07 Northampton man held loaded pistol to teenager's head over £70 debt
- 16:06 Curle ‘understands’ fans frustration but warns he needs ‘time and...
- 16:05 ‘Prison isn’t working’: David Gauke calls for end to short jail terms
- 16:05 Burglar jailed for more than two years for Pontefract house break-in
- 16:05 ABP seals new deal at Port of Hull with global packaging giant
- 16:05 Wakefield convenience shop applies for alcohol licence
- 16:04 Balmoral Tanks loses 'price-fixing' court case
- 16:04 Corby Council proposes council tax freeze
- 16:04 Multiple occupation home plan put on hold in South Shields
- 16:04 Exciting new film showcases magic of skiing Scotland’s wilderness
- 16:02 Scarborough Labour Group reacts to the resignation of seven MPs...
- 16:01 Nandos and drive-thru Starbucks could be coming to South Shore
- 16:01 Burglar jailed for more than two years for Pontefract house break-in
- 16:00 Derbyshire Roads Policing Unit target rule breaking drivers in Codnor
- 15:59 The man, 51, who got drunk and disorderly at Hull Fair
- 15:59 Where and when to see RAF Tornados flying for the last time
- 15:58 Thief admits to stealing £50,000 from vulnerable Hartlepool man
- 15:58 Cleveland Fire Brigade bosses hit out over government cuts as they...
- 15:58 New £100,000 footbridge planned for A515
- 15:58 Carousel returns to Chesterfield for half-term