The war madness must be stopped
A heightened US role in Syria is now just one of the many explosive dangers in the region, writes JOHN ELLISON
WHO CAN say that the Middle East today is not a tangled and terrifying web? Someone trying to make sense of it could start with Syria.
Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed in the civil war since 2011, following popular protests against the historically brutal and undemocratic but secular regime that spring.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s government has been in place since 2000, following that of his father, Hafez al-Assad which began with a coup in 1970.
Democratic... read more
- 05:52 The three reasons why Maurizio Sarri is heading for the sack again...
- 05:52 Man Utd hero reveals ONE difference between Sir Alex Ferguson and...
- 05:52 Man Utd star Marcus Rashford reveals the THREE Premier League stars...
- 05:51 Brexit: Theresa May to discuss next steps after Bercow ruling
- 05:46 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:46 Man arrested after suspected stolen car is seen in Sunderland and...
- 05:40 Sydney man accused of meat grinder bomb plot was trying to prevent...
- 05:40 Metal detectorist digs up ROLEX - but can't find owner's family
- 05:40 'Our dad needs £25k to stay alive' - family's cancer heartache as...
- 05:40 The number of flashers and peeping toms in Birmingham has soared
- 05:40 The heartbreaking wait for treatment for Birmingham's cancer patients
- 05:39 Climate change: Water shortages in England 'within 25 years'
- 05:36 Liverpool has highest rates of flashers and peeping toms in Merseyside
- 05:36 Merseyside's newest McDonald's has revealed its official opening date
- 05:36 Number of children admitted to Alder Hey Hospital with stab wounds...
- 05:30 A Gainsborough family are raising funds and awareness of SUDEP...
- 05:30 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:27 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:25 The 'dog whistling' on immigration must stop, Bill Shorten says
- 05:22 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:18 Indonesia election mired in claims of foreign hacking and 'ghost'...
- 05:18 'I was raised an American': Liberians await possible deportation...
- 05:18 Exit Brussels? The UK civil servants under a fog of uncertainty
- 05:16 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:16 Capital’s Bruce Group eyes Central Belt pubs on back of £20m bond bid
- 05:02 KCOM call centre worker steals £16,000 and blows it on food and...
- 05:00 Nigel Farage will not be marching through Retford area as part of...
- 05:00 Used wet wipes and unwanted sofas - the bizarre rubbish dumped in...
- 05:00 Number of peeping toms and flashers reported to police on the rise
- 04:58 Newborn baby found in Oxford hospital toilets