The sociologists confronting the hazardous waste beneath US cities
Every day, in cities across the country, businesses open up, close down, or move to new locations. And every day, in those very same cities, people move in and people move out. A once-industrial neighborhood is reinvented as a trendy hot spot populated by new restaurants and young professionals in search of loft apartments; a formerly low-income neighborhood of modest bungalows is gradually taken over by gentrifying upper-income young families.
embed In the book Sites Unseen: Uncovering Hidden Hazards in American Cities, sociologists Scott Frickel and James R Elliott confront an... read more
- 16:56 £7m care village given go ahead by planners
- 16:56 Transgender hate crime is rising in Lancashire
- 16:56 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 16:55 Arsenal legend Arsene Wenger could manage Premier League side from...
- 16:55 Arsenal fans SLAM Unai Emery for what he said about Aaron Ramsey
- 16:54 Nothing new in these policies
- 16:54 What it's really like at Jack's supermarket in Rubery
- 16:53 Council toughens up on Sutton spice dealers even if it leaves them...
- 16:53 Mayor of Berwick faces vote of no confidence
- 16:53 ESA underpayment: Who is entitled to backdated benefits?
- 16:53 Buckingham resident ‘privileged’ to have helped with building of...
- 16:52 Coroner highlights failures after death of student with sepsis
- 16:52 Mayor of Berwick faces vote of no confidence
- 16:52 Gourmet Burger Kitchen’s claims they sell ‘proper Indian’ food...
- 16:50 Theresa May has cover for a Brexit transition extension, and it may...
- 16:50 ‘The wolf of racial bias’: the admissions lawsuit rocking Harvard
- 16:48 Judy Blume's Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret to be adapted for...
- 16:47 Part of Daventry Country Park playground to remain shut until next...
- 16:46 No.79 bus torched in Bilston arson attack
- 16:44 Case of four men accused of conspiracy to murder John Louden adjourned
- 16:44 Liam and Chloe families to wait at least a year for bomb blast inquest
- 16:42 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal
- 16:41 Watch as workers at High Peak factory take strike action in pay...
- 16:38 Learn more about town school at open day
- 16:37 Leeds takeaway fined for selling cheaper beef and claiming it was lamb
- 16:37 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 16:35 £100k of illegally salvaged metal taken from Sunderland-built First...
- 16:35 Victims in double stabbing in Melton among 3 men arrested by police
- 16:35 Sickening moment Land Rover smashes through HOSPITAL as masked men...
- 16:35 Three things police want to know in connection with the Wavertree...