'The most senior person in the county should speak the language' Calls for next council chief to speak Welsh
A row has broken out over whether or not the person who lands a top job in a North Wales council should be able to speak Welsh.
Denbighshire County Council is looking to replace its chief executive, Mohammed Mehmet who announced his plans to step down in October.
An advert for the role, that comes with a salary of more than £123,000, said anyone applying for the position should have a strong empathy for Welsh culture.
However, it is not essential for candidates to be able to speak the language in order to run the county where a quarter of residents are Welsh speakers.
Glenn Swingler, a... read more
- 16:26 Tributes to Ironville veteran
- 16:23 This is when the sun is set to make a return to Sheffield
- 16:23 Tributes to Ironville veteran
- 16:22 Lucy Bronze in the running for goal of the season
- 16:21 Extreme weather no obstacle on Northamptonshire doctor's...
- 16:20 Ex-teacher accused in Australia deemed fit for Israel extradition...
- 16:20 Pop-up ping pong parlour opens at Dalton Park
- 16:20 Tributes to Ironville veteran
- 16:20 Staff at Northamptonshire care home go 'extra mile' as CQC rates it...
- 16:19 Mixing booze with energy drinks can make you more violent and less...
- 16:18 Extreme temperatures 'especially likely for next four years'
- 16:17 Dispute over Chorley councillor's campaign to move Eccleston's war...
- 16:17 Drink-driver 'unfortunate' to be before the courts
- 16:17 Cricket club hit for six by huge water bill following mystery leak
- 16:16 Police search for missing 14-year-old Long Marton boy
- 16:15 Interview: 300-year-old The Beggar’s Opera as relevant as ever
- 16:15 Swedish prime minister asks ‘what the f*** are you doing’ after...
- 16:14 Special day for ton-up McLean
- 16:14 Liverpool news: Chris Sutton says new signing can lead Reds to...
- 16:14 Roadworks latest: Where to expect delays on Wednesday, August 15,...
- 16:14 Copyright row as charity and artist see red over poppies on...
- 16:13 Cricket club hit for six by huge water bill following mystery leak
- 16:13 Firefighters tackle skip blaze in Barrow
- 16:11 Babies in prams 'exposed to more pollution'
- 16:10 Mo Salah mobile phone autograph hunter speaks out after online...
- 16:10 Glasgow School of Art fire security cordon 'could be reduced in two...
- 16:09 Tyson Fury aims barb at Deontay Wilder in buildup to Francesco...
- 16:09 Not guilty, but Ben Stokes faces a battle to restore his reputation
- 16:09 Police update on woman found injured on Cleethorpes beach
- 16:09 Corby road headache will end tomorrow