The Med diet works... but only if you are well-off: Adults earning less than £35,000 saw no reduction in the risk of cardiovascular disease because they are less likely to follow the rules
It is the miracle diet which helps people live past their 100th birthday, while cutting the risk of cancer and heart disease.
But the Mediterranean diet of vegetables, fish and olive oil only really works if you are rich and well-educated, it has been claimed.
This is the finding of an Italian study of nearly 19,000 people, who all ate the Mediterranean diet and were monitored for their risk of cardiovascular disease, including heart attacks and strokes.
The diet only helped the better off, who are thought to benefit from eating organic, buying different types of vegetables and cooking them... read more
- 21:59 Black man killed by Chicago police died of multiple gunshots,...
- 21:59 France’s Didier Deschamps: ‘There’s nothing above the World Cup’
- 21:59 Woman seriously injured in crash on Wybers Wood
- 21:48 Cassini spacecraft finds possibility of alien life, then runs out...
- 21:48 Starwatch: Mars, in opposition, is a radiant beacon
- 21:41 Bridgend County Show loose pony injures man
- 21:36 France boast seductive future with Kylian Mbappé their leading man
- 21:36 Alexis Sanchez not seen with Manchester United teammates as tour...
- 21:36 Pride at zoo as Kumali celebrates birthday
- 21:36 'Vulnerable' Belgian tourist Luc Blieck missing in London
- 21:36 Three arrested after street altercation in Boston
- 21:24 Snapped: Man Utd jet off for USA tour; Daley Blind absent, but...
- 21:14 Gary who searched for holiday ‘Vicky Pattison’ is actually married
- 21:14 Family and their dog get stranded out at sea in their car
- 21:13 Theresa May faces rebellion from Brexit hardliners in customs bill...
- 21:13 The Vamps reveal their connection to the North East at the South...
- 21:13 Watch former X Factor stars The Cutkelvins get the crowd going at...
- 21:10 Elon Musk can ‘stick his submarine where it hurts’ says hero who...
- 21:10 Fire crews blame 'carelessly discarded' barbecue for blaze at...
- 21:07 Who is America? Sacha Baron Cohen's new show aims high but goes low
- 21:06 France 4-2 Croatia: World Cup final player ratings
- 21:06 Croatia punched above their weight but could not beat fate and France
- 21:00 Arsenal news: Unai Emery could deploy surprise tactic next season
- 20:47 Delays for motorists after M57 shut due to collision
- 20:43 The question all West Brom fans want answering after Nacer Chadli's...
- 20:41 Paul Pogba: France hero produces ICONIC celebration after World Cup...
- 20:40 John Cynn wins World Series of Poker main event after 10-hour...
- 20:40 Tiger Woods excited by ‘risk reward’ challenges the Open at Carnoustie
- 20:40 Novak Djokovic’s son inspires revival at Wimbledon after wilderness...
- 20:33 France’s victory was a befitting end to a thrilling World Cup