The Leigh Guided Busway is a success, say transport chiefs - so services are being extended
The controversial Leigh-Manchester bus route is a success, say transport bosses - and it will be extended to Oxford Road next year.
There are now 45,000 people a week using the V1 50-minute service, which includes a section on the A580 as well as a 4.5-mile bus-only guideway between Leigh, Tylesley and Ellenbrook.
Since its April launch the service, which slashes the rush-hour journey by half an hour, has carried more than 940,000 people in total.
And to help meet peak-time demand, two extra buses were last week added to the service, with a further five on their way for 2017.
They will... read more
- 12:20 Cops probe attempted murder after vicious street attack leaves...
- 12:20 Chinese retaliatory tariffs aim to hit Trump in his electoral base
- 12:20 Hull's Land of Green Ginger books are being flogged on eBay
- 12:19 Ant-Man and the Wasp FIRST reviews are amazing PLUS links to...
- 12:17 Workington woman seeks to break taboo over miscarriage
- 12:16 90-year-old man targeted in Bassetlaw distraction burglary
- 12:16 Heartbroken partner of murdered dad Derek Whyteside posts tribute...
- 12:16 Lionel Messi: Birthday boy jokes around during Argentina World Cup...
- 12:15 Germany building explosion injures 25
- 12:15 Football fans watching England v Panama urged to keep an eye out...
- 12:15 Shed catches fire in Shirebrook
- 12:14 Lisa Armstrong accused of treating Ant McPartlin's new lover 'as a...
- 12:14 Liverpool transfer news: Jurgen Klopp eyes move for goalkeeper in...
- 12:12 SCHOOL DAYS: Dallas Road School
- 12:10 France team news: Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba to start in this...
- 12:09 Lionel Richie: Endless love for couple who get engaged at concert
- 12:08 Jeremy Hunt hits back at Airbus over Brexit warnings on jobs
- 12:07 I’m an introvert and no, I don’t wish I was an extrovert
- 12:06 ‘Security guards’ filmed in huge bust up outside Primark store
- 12:06 Birmingham Page 3 girl Janine Andrews bounces back from cancer
- 12:06 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Grant for wildlife group
- 12:06 Man pretended to be cab driver so he could rape women after...
- 12:05 Volunteers transform gardens for Mencap service users
- 12:05 Bernd Leno reveals private talks with Shkodran Mustafi ahead of...
- 12:04 Top cop hangs up hat for the last time
- 12:04 Councillors to meet next week to discuss hot topics
- 12:04 Ulverston man banned after admitting Barrow drug driving charge
- 12:04 Thresher sharks use their tails like bullwhips to kill or stun prey
- 12:04 Vulnerable pensioner bit thief's arm to stop her stealing £200 in...
- 12:04 Tit-for-tat tariff battle could spark downturn in global economy – BIS