The heartbreaking number of Brummie pensioners being diagnosed with depression
Four pensioners a week are being diagnosed with depression in Birmingham, alarming figures have revealed.
Analysis of NHS data shows there were 209 new diagnoses of the mental illness in people aged 65 and over in our city in 2016/17.
Of those, more than half (107) were for women while 102 were for men.
Some 44 women were aged 75 and older at the time of their diagnosis, as were 37 men, while the rest were aged between 65 and 74.
The data does not reveal the total number of pensioners who were receiving treatment for depression, just new cases diagnosed within the year.
Because of this -... read more
- 07:41 Public asked for views on Blyth relief road proposals
- 07:39 Curle well aware of Chair threat as Cobblers get set for Stevenage...
- 07:37 Traffic delays as thousands head to Sheffield’s Endcliffe Park for...
- 07:37 Bowser takes over at Nintendo in US after Fils-Aime's 13-year reign
- 07:33 Twitter challenge to condense Shakespeare into 280 characters
- 07:33 Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco have slumped to bottom of...
- 07:33 Horne, Bradbury and Grigg come in as Townsend tests Scottish depth...
- 07:33 Traffic delays as thousands head to Sheffield’s Endcliffe Park for...
- 07:29 Traffic: Five-vehicle crash on A19 at Sunderland
- 07:29 Michael Raynes OUT for season - Hartlepool United’s Craig Hignett...
- 07:29 Live Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more
- 07:27 Man Utd vs Liverpool: Paul Merson makes big game prediction - ‘The...
- 07:27 Chelsea vs Man City: Paul Merson makes Carabao Cup final prediction...
- 07:25 Northants legend and Saints lock strike up fantastic friendship
- 07:23 Rotherham cyclist Ben Swift in intensive care after crash
- 07:22 Exclusions that are part and parcel of Hermes’s T&Cs
- 07:22 Scratchcards sales to under-18s should be banned, says minister
- 07:22 'I can't afford to live here': Oakland teachers strike in city...
- 07:22 Gambling apps more dangerous than FOBTs, study finds
- 07:22 Theatre fund-raising drive nears its £800,000 target
- 07:22 Why didn't Amazon pay federal taxes for the second consecutive year?
- 07:22 Celebration of life for inspirational teacher
- 07:21 Traffic: Eight-vehicle crash on A19 at Sunderland
- 07:20 'Who will pay £30m?' Aston Villa fans have their say on Jack...
- 07:17 Boy who raped and killed Alesha MacPhail in ‘bestial manner’ could...
- 07:16 Everything you need to know about the Mi Amigo flypast over...
- 07:16 Traffic: Five-vehicle crash on A19 at Sunderland
- 07:11 Maurizio Sarri aims dig at Arsenal to defend his Chelsea record
- 07:10 Arsenal captain Laurent Koscielny hailed by pundit for injury...
- 07:08 Bamber Bridge aiming to bounce back from semi-final defeat