The drone that found a Shaker Village: Thermal imaging craft could 'revolutionse archaeology' by spotting structures underground
Scanning an empty field that once housed a Shaker village in New Hampshire, Jesse Casana had come in search of the foundations of stone buildings, long-forgotten roadways and other remnants of this community dating to the 1790s.
But instead of a trowel and shovel, Casana and his Dartmouth College colleague Chad Hill are using a drone equipped with a thermal imaging camera and mapping instruments.
The camera can identify remnants of buildings and other structures up to several feet below the surface, since the temperatures of that brick or stone material is often warmer than the soil around... read more
- 20:58 Special showing of ITV series at caravan park
- 14:18 Persimmon homeowners in Newquay warn would-be buyers with signs
- 14:18 West Ham transfer news: Deal for Swansea star Alfie Mawson could...
- 16:54 More big events at De Montfort Hall after £582k live music plan...
- 16:54 Crime in Cheshire soars by almost a third over 12 month period
- 16:54 Tomorrow is being labelled as 'Frantic Friday' - and drivers could...
- 16:54 Norovirus strikes down families across Merseyside as outbreak...
- 16:54 Get on your bike and enjoy Yorkshire's cycle highways
- 20:58 NSPCC teams up with a Worksop housing project for It’s Not OK campaign
- 18:59 Poundworld to close all high street stores
- 17:26 Thousands sign petition demanding Andrew Griffiths quits after sex...
- 16:54 Firefighters on scene in Northampton after reports of smoke coming...
- 16:54 Weekend weather round-up: What to expect in Yorkshire over the next...
- 16:54 You can now fly directly from Leeds to Iceland at budget prices
- 14:18 NHS boss wants Lancashire learning disability unit closed
- 17:26 Boozy World Cup fan caught drink-driving as he dashed to McDonald’s
- 14:18 Preston North End’s opponents West Ham have had a busy summer
- 17:19 Rare crayfish are to blame for ‘unkept’ grass at retirement housing...
- 17:19 US Naval Attaché set to visit Whitehaven
- 20:58 Keep BBQs off Winter Hill, say firefighters
- 19:31 Four-week-old baby girl found 'safe and well' after carjacking ordeal
- 14:18 In pictures: Starbeck in Bloom’s 20th anniversary celebrations
- 14:18 VIDEO: Blackpool beauty queen Joanna wins the crown at world pageant
- 17:19 Peak District wildfire fund launched after spate of moorland blazes
- 14:55 Harrogate nurseries could be first in England to see bills halved
- 17:19 New police figures reveal West Yorkshire in top 5 areas for...
- 18:59 Bentley's Stefan Sielaff: Driving force
- 14:18 Sellafield launches three-person car sharing rule
- 20:58 Landmark for Bassetlaw Hospital department celebrated
- 17:19 Hanging Heaton edge out Methley in thrilling Twenty20 Cup Final