The deaf patients 'left behind' by the NHS
A lack of face-to-face interpreters is meaning deaf patients are missing key operations and being informed of serious medical issues - such as a miscarriage - via a tablet computer, the Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned. Many of those affected say they want to be treated as equals by the NHS.
When Jeff Parfitt unexpectedly woke up during a biopsy endoscopy, he wanted an interpreter to explain what was happening.
But there were not any available.
He panicked, pulling the endoscope - a tube with a tiny camera on the end - out of his body.
It was a vital procedure, but it had to be... read more
- 11:13 Wyre Council’s call to help catch Fleetwood park vandals
- 11:12 Date change announcement for public CCG meeting
- 11:12 Hull gran: 'My trampy sofa has sagged since I bought it - but...
- 11:11 Popular great-great-grandmother celebrates 100th birthday
- 11:11 Remember these favourite shops from bygone Hartlepool?
- 11:11 Man jailed for stealing £13,000 from his own family
- 11:11 Bridlington students celebrate A-level results
- 11:10 The outdoors summer has a sting in the tail for South Shore-based...
- 11:10 Burnley community farm march to Martin Mere
- 11:10 Travellers leave 'human excrement' in bushes after leaving Ormsgill...
- 11:09 Armed police escort doctor off EasyJet plane in row over leg room
- 11:09 Planning permission granted to convert listed building near Rugby...
- 11:08 Luton Town chairman urges fans to stop chants in support of Tommy...
- 11:09 A-levels 2018: Calderdale results in full
- 11:08 Team Sky’s Geraint Thomas and Chris Froome to ride in Tour of Britain
- 11:08 Date change announcement for public CCG meeting
- 11:08 Rise in car thefts in North Yorkshire, latest police data reveals
- 11:06 Mariah Carey teaches daughter to 'pose like mommy' on luxury yacht...
- 11:06 John Swinney: No "morale crisis" among Scots teachers
- 11:05 Lady Lumley's School produce record A-level results
- 11:04 Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui told to swoop for Crystal Palace...
- 11:03 Victor the polar bear undergoes pollen allergy test at Yorkshire...
- 11:03 Date change announcement for public CCG meeting
- 11:03 English Martyrs celebrates 99% A-level pass rate
- 11:03 AMP to compensate super investors after fresh humiliation at royal...
- 11:03 Should US mothers be paid for life-saving cord blood or placentas?
- 11:03 Dozens of homes face several hours with no or little water after...
- 11:02 A-levels 2017: Your results guide for Halifax
- 11:02 Last chance to visit Shibden Hall before it closes for filming for...
- 11:02 A-levels 2018: Calderdale results in full