The day India freed Goa from Portuguese rule
Goa on India's western coast was freed from Portuguese rule on 19 December 1961, more than four centuries after it was colonised.
The fight for freedom began in the 1940s as India inched closer to independence from British rule. But Goa remained a Portuguese colony until 1961, straining relations between India and Portugal as the former's support for the anti-colonial movement in Goa grew. In 1955, India even imposed an economic blockade on Goa.
In 1961, the Indian army invaded the state after the Portuguese fired at Indian fishing boats, killing one fisherman.
After 36 hours of air, sea... read more
- 16:42 Everything that has opened in Coventry and Warwickshire in 2018 and...
- 16:41 YP Letters: Council review is needed to deliver services we pay for
- 16:41 YP Letters: Jeremy Corbyn has destroyed Labour as a credible...
- 16:41 YP Letters: Absurd plan for a second Brexit referendum
- 16:40 Body of man found at railway bridge close to Ayrshire hotel
- 16:39 X Factor star Chico Slimani is ‘recovering well’ after...
- 16:39 Four people rescued from Holy Island causeway
- 16:37 Vatican signs historic deal with China – but critics denounce sellout
- 16:34 Lily Allen leaves fans fuming as singer leaves her own book signing...
- 16:34 Jim Furyk’s US college boys face stern French test to retain Ryder Cup
- 16:31 Virgil van Dijk suffers injury for Liverpool against Southampton
- 16:27 Glamping goes Tudor: historians to remake Henry VIII’s opulent tent
- 16:27 Chas and Dave singer Chas Hodges dies aged 74
- 16:24 Labour to resist pressure of committing to second referendum on Brexit
- 16:24 Tiana in Birmingham - how child star's fans took over the Bullring...
- 16:23 Dominic sees off rivals to win place on town council
- 16:18 Fresh deadline for Brett Kavanaugh accuser adds to supreme court drama
- 16:18 Rotterdam prepared for worst when Britain crashes out of EU
- 16:17 Sex addiction signs and how to tell if you or your partner has a...
- 16:16 Woman's incredible full English breakfast cooking hack goes viral
- 16:16 It doesn’t look crowded on Nigel Farage’s Brexit bus
- 16:16 Jeremy Hunt urges EU to ‘step back from the abyss’ of Brexit no deal
- 16:13 Tottenham squad ranked by transfer value: Who are Pochettino’s most...
- 16:09 Chelsea star Mateo Kovacic reveals what Man Utd legend he takes...
- 16:09 Man Utd vs Wolves: Why Marouane Fellaini is a ‘dream’ for defenders...
- 16:04 DUP cannot have veto on Brexit border deal, says Ireland
- 16:02 Brighton vs Tottenham LIVE: Team news and Premier League updates...
- 16:02 Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp reveals all on Xherdan Shaqiri's first...
- 15:57 Italy acquits Tunisian 'migrant smuggling' fishermen
- 15:57 Eeyore the donkey rescued from sinkhole in Helston