The Carlos Vela story: Why Mexico's World Cup star will be forever loved in West Brom
Carlos Vela, still only 29, has reminded fans across the globe of his qualities at this summer’s World Cup.
The striker scored in Mexico’s 2-1 win over South Korea as the early surprise package of the tournament made it two wins out of two.
Vela is most remembered in England for his time at Arsenal. Well, unless you’re from the Black Country, of course, then there’s only one over-riding memory of this little Mexican.
Cast your mind back to 2011 when he was signed on loan to help keep Albion in the Premier League.
He might not have played as often as he would have liked - and there were... read more
- 05:25 The 'dog whistling' on immigration must stop, Bill Shorten says
- 05:22 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:18 Indonesia election mired in claims of foreign hacking and 'ghost'...
- 05:18 'I was raised an American': Liberians await possible deportation...
- 05:18 Exit Brussels? The UK civil servants under a fog of uncertainty
- 05:16 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:16 Capital’s Bruce Group eyes Central Belt pubs on back of £20m bond bid
- 05:02 KCOM call centre worker steals £16,000 and blows it on food and...
- 05:00 Nigel Farage will not be marching through Retford area as part of...
- 05:00 Used wet wipes and unwanted sofas - the bizarre rubbish dumped in...
- 05:00 Number of peeping toms and flashers reported to police on the rise
- 04:58 Newborn baby found in Oxford hospital toilets
- 04:56 Tragic Glasgow dad hit headlines as football mobile phone thief...
- 04:56 Community sickened by horrific slashing of vulnerable Scot in...
- 04:52 Christchurch shootings: Ardern vows never to say suspect's name
- 04:50 A celebration of Scotland's Munros and the man who listed them
- 04:50 NHS infection and safety inquiry begins at Holyrood
- 04:50 Emiliano Sala plane crash: Call to investigate more flights
- 04:50 Syrian refugees in Aberystwyth set up pop-up restaurants
- 04:41 The 24 roads where speed limits are changing in Leicestershire
- 04:41 Should drink drivers be 'named and shamed' by police?
- 04:26 Christchurch shooting: Australia PM calls for social media crackdown
- 04:26 Students at university who are inspiring younger siblings
- 04:17 'I don't agree' Dean Smith's response to player's claim and key...
- 04:17 Birmingham City await crucial development as midfielder sends...
- 04:17 Europa League questions answered as Wolves loanee produces late...
- 04:17 West Brom to end manager hunt as popular midfielder opens up on...
- 04:13 Labor signals it won't use Kyoto credits in final emissions policy
- 04:13 'Broke up with sleep': Cory Booker exposed as addicted to coffee jokes
- 04:02 Smack The Pony: Amanda Holden was first choice for show