Text messages are welcomed by GP patients in Wigan
Text messages are helping to reduce the number of patients failing to attend GP appointments in Wigan.
NHS England says more than 15 million appointments - one in 20 - are wasted each year because patients do not turn up.
Other news: Man used fake gun to rob £10,000 from Wigan pensioner's home
Each appointment costs an average of £30, putting the total bill for the NHS at more than £216m. That could pay the annual salary for 2,325 GPs or 216,000 drug treatment courses for Alzheimer’s.
Action is already being taken in Wigan, with text message reminders sent to patients about appointments.... read more
- 13:13 Real snow Santa's grotto at Chill Factore – here's how to get tickets
- 12:57 First TV election debate: five things to look out for tonight
- 12:36 Council agrees new measures to tackle climate change
- 12:36 Stratford juniors secure best ever cross country result at Warley...
- 12:03 Aliens are ‘switching our nuclear weapons on and off’, says lobbyist
- 11:49 Sai Aletaha: Fatally hurt MMA fighter was 'liked by everyone'
- 11:03 Six things we learned from Prince Andrew’s ‘disastrous’ Jeffrey...
- 10:36 Family of Lichfield teenager reveal “devastation” after Friary...
- 10:36 Lichfield woman thanks charity for helping her find work as she...
- 10:25 Girl, 7, writes to Father Christmas asking for a home and food
- 10:00 Spark in Burntwood to host fundraising Christmas fair
- 09:29 Radcliffe sexual assault images released
- 08:16 Will Young and James Morrison confirmed for outdoor concert near...
- 06:35 Amateur MMA fighter Sai Aletaha dies after Southampton match injury
- 02:02 What is Jeremy Corbyn’s nuclear weapons policy?