Terror suspect: ‘I was just joking about destroying churches’
A terror suspect told a court he was joking when he said he intended to destroy churches. Andy Star, 32, the former owner of the Mermaid Fish Bar on Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, and his co-accused Farhad Salah, 23, of Brunswick Road, Sheffield, are on trial at Sheffield Crown Court jointly charged with preparing an act of terrorism in the UK in support of so-called Islamic State (IS).
The alleged plot is believed to have involved an attack involving a driverless car bomb controlled by a laptop to spare themselves.
Both defendants, who are Iraqi nationals, deny the charge.
Cross-examining... read more
- 14:05 Ex-Hipperholme Grammar pupils head back to school for fundraiser...
- 14:03 Ex-Hipperholme Grammar pupils head back to school for fundraiser...
- 14:03 Nottinghamshire's best dressed houses this Christmas - in pictures
- 14:02 Woman casually tells court how she chopped up cousin then cooked...
- 14:02 Stevensons gets green light to move into old Castle Press building
- 14:02 Woman locked up after killing partner in fireball at their flat
- 14:01 Live: Paul Gascoigne appears in court over sex assault allegation
- 14:01 Woman walks away from Leamington crash despite airbags not deploying
- 14:01 Popular Scarborough restaurant El Gringos to go up for sale
- 14:01 Nottinghamshire County Council shelves plans for ‘super council’
- 14:00 Man, 32, arrested for 'making threats to kill' in six-hour...
- 14:00 Benefits cheat who failed to declare job must now work for nothing
- 14:00 KCOM boss announces resignation as internet firm 'enjoys a...
- 14:00 Family of tragic Rob, 21, claim Hull's new Hilton 'cancelled' their...
- 14:00 St Helens social services 'improving' following Ofsted criticism
- 13:59 Boy, 15, arrested after arson attack on police car in Daventry
- 13:58 Britain’s least used railway station is in Yorkshire
- 13:58 Fears plans to grow huge 'caravan city' will cause even more powercuts
- 13:58 Iconic Doncaster building to be transformed into housing and retail...
- 13:58 Time Magazine Person of the Year 2018 honours journalists
- 13:58 Mesut Ozil’s chances of joining Manchester United rated by Arsenal...
- 13:58 Multi-million pound funding confirmed for new health hub on part of...
- 13:57 Poppi Worthington’s dad fails in bid to have death record changed
- 13:57 Police release image of Audi wanted for Bircotes Post Office cash...
- 13:57 Suite which simulates medical emergencies set to open at KGH
- 13:57 Amazing support for Ripon Christmas festival in new location
- 13:56 Nottinghamshire County Council shelves plans for ‘super council’
- 13:56 Striking home care workers struggle with security guards in Council...
- 13:56 Strictly Come Dancing grand final songs and dances revealed
- 13:56 Teenager attacked by gang in shopping centre