Ten top Indian rail journeys
From Wes Anderson and Danny Boyle to Michael Palin and Paul Theroux, Indian Railways have entranced dreamers, intrigued authors and inspired filmmakers. That's because there's no other railway like them on Earth.
With 18 million daily passengers, 1.4 million employees and 17,000 trains operating on 64,000 kilometres of track, it's a locomotive pick and mix of sizes, speeds, shapes and colours – and that's just the passengers.
Last November I read an article about India's budget airlines now connecting over 80 cities – but they still couldn't reach into the country's nooks and crannies: the... read more
- 04:20 Care job vacancies in England rise to 110,000
- 04:20 Compensation for delay-hit Northern passengers extended
- 04:17 'Modicare': India's PM promises free health care for poorest citizens
- 04:13 Esports degree: 'I won't spend three years playing games'
- 04:13 The UK's most ambitious children
- 04:13 Comment: Phoenix lands in Edinburgh
- 04:07 Child mental health: Camhs 'not fit for purpose'
- 04:07 Buckingham Palace: Man released over 'Taser' keyring error
- 04:07 Contaminated blood scandal: Inquiry 'must uncover truth'
- 03:48 US-China trade: US set to impose biggest round of tariffs yet
- 03:31 Comment: Building bridges between Scotland and Ireland
- 03:31 Comment: Scouts are always prepared for business success
- 03:24 Melbourne plane crash: Pilot error in fatal shopping centre incident
- 03:24 Brett Kavanaugh: Second allegation made against court nominee
- 03:14 Whitsundays shark attacks occurred in swimming 'no-go zone',...
- 03:04 Bodyguard: The critics' verdicts on BBC show's finale
- 02:54 Brexit: Labour conference vote wording agreed
- 02:43 Brett Kavanaugh faces second allegation of sexual misconduct
- 02:32 Toyota Supra 2019: first drives, prices, specs and UK release date
- 01:35 The Aquarius: Migrant rescue ship has registration revoked
- 01:29 Germany: Merkel's coalition solves spymaster dispute that rattled...
- 01:21 Obesity could overtake smoking as biggest preventable cause of...
- 01:20 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:13 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:08 Obesity could overtake smoking as biggest preventable cause of...
- 01:05 Northern agrees to compensate non-season ticket holders
- 01:05 The Yorkshire Post says: A written record. How did Churchill win...
- 01:05 The Yorkshire Post says: Corbyn challenges. Labour leader must...
- 01:05 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit options must be set out. The...
- 01:02 Regular train travellers to receive compensation