Tasmania Anglican church sales to help 'make amends' for abuse
Reverend John Stanley says he will always remember the baptisms in his church, and the weddings and funerals that took place under its steeple.
Now, however, the church in Tasmania, Australia, is one of dozens of Anglican properties in the island state that are scheduled to be sold.
Religious organisations have grappled with how they will fund compensation for survivors of child sexual abuse.
In Tasmania, Anglican leaders say property sales will play a key part.
They plan to sell 108 properties, including more than half of the state's Anglican churches - 78 in total - to raise an estimated... read more
- 16:05 Have you seen the Olney Terrier? Three-week search for feral dog...
- 16:05 Countess hears heartwarming song from Northampton special school choir
- 16:04 Stowe Gardens in Buckingham to host winter trail runs
- 16:04 Police appeal continues to find wanted Clitheroe sex offender
- 16:04 I'm A Celebrity - real reason 'vegan' Fleur East was caught eating...
- 16:04 Ten years wait for youth venue in Solihull village is over
- 16:03 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 16:02 Primary Stars kit boosts school lessons
- 16:02 Police release new statement after saying naked suspect has a...
- 16:02 Police apology over man's genitalia description in appeal
- 16:02 Police seize suspected stolen clothes from home of Sheffield woman
- 16:01 Boyfriend claims murder victims injuries were carpet burns from sex...
- 16:01 When do Cyber Monday deals start in 2018 and what can we expect?
- 16:01 The Alps have arrived in Halifax as Christmas pop-up comes to The...
- 16:01 Drugged up Halifax driver of ambulance 'centimetres' from...
- 16:00 Unmade Sex and the City 3 was meditation on grief after death of Mr...
- 16:00 'We can't carry passengers' - Coventry City fans have their say on...
- 16:00 Heroic 14-man Nuneaton RFC see off Bournville in 93-point thriller...
- 16:00 This is how you can play a part in Coventry City's League One...
- 15:59 Primary Stars kit boosts school lessons
- 15:58 Police sorry for 'too much' detail in public sex appeal
- 15:57 Man named after court hands him suspended sentence for sexual...
- 15:57 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 15:56 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 15:56 What next for Meadowhall’s £300 million ‘Leisure Hall’ plan?
- 15:56 Mablethorpe Running Club: Debbie leads home Poppy Run squad
- 15:55 Repair work starts on ‘dangerous’ bridge causing A422 closure
- 15:55 Armed police prevent man doused in petrol from setting himself on...
- 15:53 Sleep expert reveals how to beat the blues during the colder months
- 15:53 Taimoor Zaheer murder sentences: How dramatic day unfolded at court