Swimmer Ben Lecomte begins record Pacific crossing attempt
A French swimmer has set off from Japan aiming to become the first person to swim across the Pacific Ocean.
Ben Lecomte, 51, will swim for eight hours a day for more than six months as he heads towards the US west coast.
He faces dangers including sharks, storms, swarms of jellyfish, and extremely low water temperatures.
He is hoping to raise awareness for climate change, and a team of scientists will conduct research during the 5,500 mile (9,000 km) swim.
His departure was streamed live on Facebook.
They will study plastic debris, the effect of extreme exercise on the heart and examine how... read more
- 12:04 Birmingham driver banned after setting off speed cameras SEVEN...
- 12:03 Dog food urgently recalled over fears it could poison your pet
- 12:03 Bronze statue of Margaret Thatcher unveiled in Lincolnshire today
- 12:03 West Ham duo could return from injury in time to face Manchester City
- 12:03 Brazilian commentator does pigeon noises as Richarlison celebrates...
- 12:03 Government figures show Mansfield and Ashfield beings hit by up to...
- 12:03 Police want to speak to this man after Bolsover burglary
- 12:02 Indian police file rape case against Bollywood actor Alok Nath
- 12:02 Government figures show Mansfield and Ashfield beings hit by up to...
- 12:01 Woman followed and raped in Tower Hamlets basement
- 12:01 Tory slap Chinese TV reporter case dropped
- 12:00 Fighter dubbed ‘worst boxer EVER’ after 84-second KO in debut fight
- 11:59 Awards handed out at Blackpool jobs and work experience scheme event
- 11:59 Government figures show Mansfield and Ashfield beings hit by up to...
- 11:58 Huge crowds gather to greet Royal visitor to Derbyshire - pictures...
- 11:58 Stunning 'perfect rainbow' over Derbyshire castle one of four local...
- 11:57 I'm A Celebrity - Real reason 'vegan' Fleur East caught eating meat
- 11:56 West Yorkshire man charged with murdering three-year-old boy
- 11:56 Ikea to cut 350 jobs amid global transformation plans
- 11:55 Furious residents come out in force to oppose plans for addiction...
- 11:55 Starting a new chapter: the success story of Totley Library
- 11:55 Sport and comfort combine in Ford Fiesta ST-Line X
- 11:54 Fylde coast stretchers firm sees growth after Boost support
- 11:54 Starting a new chapter: the success story of Totley Library
- 11:54 Ask Northamptonshire police chief or crime commissioner a question...
- 11:53 Morpeth draw in top-of-table clash at York
- 11:52 Defibrillator used to SAVE LIVES damaged by vandals in Sleaford
- 11:52 Cameroon army frees kidnapped students
- 11:52 Durham University academic accused of spying in United Arab...
- 11:52 Is Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz 3 on TV in the UK? Stream, fight...