Sweden's Finns fear minority language rights are under threat
As rising immigration increasingly puts Scandinavia’s reputation for tolerance to the test, Sweden’s largest national minority fears its language rights are threatened and children will grow up with little or no knowledge of their mother tongue.
Finnish-speaking Swedes, known as Sweden Finns (sverigefinnar), make up more than 7% of the country’s 10 million-strong population and are entitled to Finnish lessons in school since Sweden reversed an earlier postwar approach of forced assimilation.
But complaints that minority language policies are not being respected are mounting. Reports for the... read more
- 01:48 Syria war: Seized foreign IS fighters 'must be taken home'
- 01:48 Suge Knight faces 28 years in jail after admitting manslaughter
- 01:47 'I gave birth, and got Hepatitis C'
- 01:45 Universities warned over potentially misleading claims
- 01:38 Imprisoned suffragette letter discovered
- 01:36 Mission implausible: Russians mock improbable spy duo
- 01:28 Reality Check: Holyhead's Brexit dilemma
- 01:20 Was Prezzo Salisbury poisoning a hoax?
- 01:20 Strictly dancers to go on strike?
- 01:15 Morrison defends $1.2bn 'slush fund' for Catholic and independent...
- 01:15 British museums face fight to gain control of Titanic artefacts
- 00:58 All the plastic you can and cannot recycle
- 00:55 Why is IVF so popular in Denmark?
- 00:54 How China's GPS 'rival' Beidou is plotting to go global
- 00:53 Anthony Joshua feeling 'tons of pressure' but will find a way to...
- 00:53 Storm Bronagh set to batter UK with 70mph gusts in Ali aftermath
- 00:53 This is the thing most likely to hospitalise you in Birmingham
- 00:47 Michigan professor embroiled in Israel boycott row
- 00:43 Feeling hungry? Try out latest recipe from the Magpie Cafe
- 00:31 Wolf Alice: 'Our album is like hummus'
- 00:31 Women 'half as likely' as men to start a business
- 00:29 WATCH: Alex Neil's full press conference ahead of Preston North...
- 00:25 A&E appointments system proposed in NHS targets shakeup
- 00:25 Labour's annual conference to focus on austerity and Brexit
- 00:25 Jeremy Corbyn's spending plan for public services backed by majority
- 00:23 Amazon Echo Dot (2018) hands on review: the perfect Echo entry point
- 00:20 US steps up fight against slave labor 'to safeguard American jobs'
- 00:20 UK's nuclear deterrent infrastructure 'not fit for purpose', say MPs
- 00:18 Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood's widow weeps as she admits she...
- 00:11 UK universities 'still inflate their statuses despite crackdown'