Steel barriers put in at Parliament after abuse of MPs
Police have agreed to increase security near Parliament amid concerns over threatening and abusive behaviour by protesters, MPs have heard.
John Bercow said the assurances were received following a meeting with Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick.
Steel barriers were erected outside the Carriage Gates entrance to Parliament today.
READ MORE: Single mothers in High Court victory over Universal Credit
Scotland Yard said the force has increased its presence around the estate in the run-up to the vote on the Prime Minister’s Brexit deal on Tuesday.
The Commons Speaker earlier this... read more
- 00:37 Monika Billen: German tourist found dead in Australian outback
- 00:34 School's protective fence plan prompts neighbour complaints
- 00:30 Sudoku 4,271 hard
- 00:28 Parents' break-up more likely to harm mental health of children...
- 00:23 Reece Prescod: ‘I want to run sub-10 seconds for the 100m at every...
- 00:23 Manu Tuilagi ready to make ‘explosive’ England comeback, says...
- 00:22 Putin warns West on Balkans as Serbia prepares lavish welcome
- 00:21 Hermes: Where the luxury giant is an industry outsider
- 00:13 Why are the Chinese buying fewer cars?
- 00:13 Commuters and students 'short-changed by the government'
- 00:13 Retailers told to clean up act over fake faux fur
- 00:13 No-deal Brexit warning for UK drivers
- 00:13 Housing market outlook worst 'for 20 years'
- 23:57 School's protective fence plan prompts neighbour complaints
- 23:57 Residents' rage over garage forecourt facelift
- 23:54 Residents' rage over garage forecourt facelift
- 23:49 Larry Nassar case: University head John Engler 'set to resign'
- 23:48 Former West Indies coach Stuart Law says old charges can trouble...
- 23:48 Professional rider Mason Lowe dies after bull steps on his chest at...
- 23:47 Chelsea keen on £40m deal with Everton… but Kurt Zouma is part of...
- 23:42 Harry Redknapp’s granddaughter Molly 'dating' I'm A Celeb's Malique...
- 23:41 US to begin INF treaty pullout next month after Russia missile...
- 23:41 Pranksters defend spreading fake news of Trump's departure
- 23:41 Top North Korean officials reportedly set for Washington visit
- 23:41 Greek PM wins confidence vote after Macedonia name crisis
- 23:36 Football Leaks: 'Suspected hacker' detained in Hungary
- 23:29 Hillsborough trial hears how risk of Liverpool fan crush was 'obvious'
- 23:29 Clubber Mohammed Abdul who drove car onto dancefloor banned from roads
- 23:29 Shoreham Airshow crash pilot Andrew Hill played 'fast and loose'...
- 23:29 Meghan Markle's £25 H&M dress sends internet into frenzy - and you...