Stanford rape case judge Aaron Persky removed from office
A US judge who was widely criticised for his leniency towards a campus rapist has been removed from office by voters.
Judge Aaron Persky handed Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner a six-month sentence in June 2016.
But county judges in California are elected, and if a petition to remove them from office garners enough signatures a vote will be held.
Such elections are rare - the last time a US judge was recalled was in 1977.
Tuesday's vote in Santa Clara County marks the first time a Californian judge has been removed in this way for more than 80 years.
"We are outraged at [his]... read more
- 16:06 Youngsters devastated after minibus stolen from amateur boxing gym
- 16:06 Tributes paid to ‘incredible' Doncaster woman who died decade after...
- 16:05 Number of children in care in Lancashire are on the rise
- 16:05 Have you seen the Olney Terrier? Three-week search for feral dog...
- 16:05 Countess hears heartwarming song from Northampton special school choir
- 16:04 Stowe Gardens in Buckingham to host winter trail runs
- 16:04 Police appeal continues to find wanted Clitheroe sex offender
- 16:04 I'm A Celebrity - real reason 'vegan' Fleur East was caught eating...
- 16:04 Ten years wait for youth venue in Solihull village is over
- 16:03 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 16:02 Primary Stars kit boosts school lessons
- 16:02 Police release new statement after saying naked suspect has a...
- 16:02 Police apology over man's genitalia description in appeal
- 16:02 Police seize suspected stolen clothes from home of Sheffield woman
- 16:01 Boyfriend claims murder victims injuries were carpet burns from sex...
- 16:01 When do Cyber Monday deals start in 2018 and what can we expect?
- 16:01 The Alps have arrived in Halifax as Christmas pop-up comes to The...
- 16:01 Drugged up Halifax driver of ambulance 'centimetres' from...
- 16:00 Unmade Sex and the City 3 was meditation on grief after death of Mr...
- 16:00 'We can't carry passengers' - Coventry City fans have their say on...
- 16:00 Heroic 14-man Nuneaton RFC see off Bournville in 93-point thriller...
- 16:00 This is how you can play a part in Coventry City's League One...
- 15:59 Primary Stars kit boosts school lessons
- 15:58 Police sorry for 'too much' detail in public sex appeal
- 15:57 Man named after court hands him suspended sentence for sexual...
- 15:57 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 15:56 Hunt goes on for missing Clitheroe sex offender
- 15:56 What next for Meadowhall’s £300 million ‘Leisure Hall’ plan?
- 15:56 Mablethorpe Running Club: Debbie leads home Poppy Run squad
- 15:55 Repair work starts on ‘dangerous’ bridge causing A422 closure