Spycops' names must be revealed
JUSTICE Mitting’s indication that the real names of police officers who spied on legal political organisations for three decades may never be made public sheds new light on the extent of Britain’s secret state.
As bad as this decision is, the judge’s justification for it is worse still.
He cites officers' health, wellbeing and desire to maintain privacy as valid reasons before putting the top hat on it by wrapping the entire scandal up in so-called “national security.”
None of the activists spied on represented a threat to national security.
They were involved in democratic and legal... read more
- 01:22 Auckland threatens to eject Lime scooters after wheels lock at high...
- 01:21 Jeremy Corbyn calls on eight Labour defectors to quit as MPs
- 01:15 Alex Sobel: Why it is now vital that we extend Article 50 over Brexit
- 01:15 Jayne Dowle: The Independent rebels with a cause must look to...
- 01:15 Tim Morris: Getting freight moving – don’t let the M62 grind the...
- 01:15 The Yorkshire Post says: Action stations – getting the North back...
- 01:09 On the grid for new kart season
- 00:54 Lincolnshire councils have spent THOUSANDS of pounds hosting awards...
- 00:49 Council leaders warned against imposing car park tax levy ahead of...
- 00:48 Teacher targeted over LGBT work shortlisted for $1m global award
- 00:36 Cost of care for asylum-seeking children ‘doubles in four years’
- 00:36 Culture secretary to meet Mark Zuckerberg in US after snub to MPs
- 00:35 Olives pitting US against EU in global trade fight
- 00:27 City centres 'could become ghost towns'
- 00:26 Sign up for junior golf sessions in Alford
- 00:26 Bowls A team enjoy Horncastle win
- 00:24 India Catholic Cardinal Oswald Gracias ‘failed abuse victims’
- 00:22 High streets will become 'ghost towns' without urgent tax reforms,...
- 00:21 Fresh concerns over Whirlpool's 'fire-risk' tumble dryer repairs
- 00:21 David Mundell claims Brexit will enhance devolution
- 00:21 Musicians voice concern over Ryan Adams' abuse allegations
- 00:17 LGBT-row teacher in top 10 award
- 00:17 Warning over cost of caring for young asylum seekers
- 00:11 Cristiano Ronaldo angrily taunts Atletico Madrid AGAIN after...
- 00:06 Sudoku 4,301 hard
- 00:05 Nestle and Epic pull YouTube ads over offensive content
- 23:54 Data breach and delay: survivors lose faith in New Zealand's...
- 23:54 Historian who confronted Davos billionaires leaks Tucker Carlson rant
- 23:54 Neo-Nazi plotted attack on Democrats and journalists, say prosecutors
- 23:52 Shocking scenes as Celtic fans 'locked in' Valencia bar with armed...