Sporting Lisbon president threatens to suspend 19 players after row over Europa League loss to Atletico Madrid
Confusion reigned at Sporting on Saturday after club president Bruno de Carvalho announced that he would suspend nearly the entire first-team squad following a spat between himself and the players on Facebook.
De Carvalho, however, later deleted his most recent post on Facebook and there was no official mention of the row on the club's official website.
A news conference with Sporting coach Jorge Jesus, due to be held later on Saturday, was postponed for three hours amid media reports that Sporting would field a reserve team in Sunday's Portuguese league match at home to Pacos de Ferreira.... read more
- 03:06 Top police commander praises witnesses who helped victim in Asda...
- 00:14 Three arrested after shots fired in Leicester city centre
- 00:15 Multiple theories of how to tackle Carnoustie reach no firm conclusion
- 03:06 Labour celebrates victory in Besses by election
- 00:15 Graffiti gang who caused £77,000 worth of damage to trains across...
- 00:14 Youths go on smashing spree in Peterlee
- 00:14 REVIEW: Poptastic Steps wow crowds at Lytham Festival
- 00:14 Pizza, popcorn - Sleights pupils’ sleepover at school raises more...
- 00:14 Victim speaks out after sex attacker jailed for 23 years
- 00:14 New low for Northants as they are beaten by Derbyshire
- 00:14 Police make second arrest in Shaun Lyall death
- 00:14 Headteacher says councillors 'must do better' after branding his...
- 00:14 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news and travel
- 00:14 Steelbacks set to make more changes for Bears battle