Spen’s war chronicled by former journalist
“More than anything else at the moment, we are concerned that the people of the Spen Valley should bear themselves in the face of a great national crisis with a good courage, and with a spirit of consideration towards all with whom they are brought in contact.”
These are the words of the Cleckheaton Guardian editorial as Britain declared war on Germany.
The war’s impact on the Spen Valley was documented by former Guardian journalist Andrew Bannister in his 1994 book One Valley’s War, using the newspaper’s archives. He said: “The archives turned out to be an incredibly detailed record frozen... read more
- 20:33 Inter’s Milan Skriniar admits being flattered by interest from...
- 20:31 Naked Brit groom tied to tree in stag prank sparks Benidorm backlash
- 20:30 Major Ashfield road closed after crash
- 20:29 Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp criticises his players despite win...
- 20:26 Weekend rugby results
- 20:26 Weekend football results
- 20:25 Man City boss Pep Guardiola makes big goalscoring claim, talks...
- 20:22 Primark is selling Harry Potter and Ron Weasley Christmas jumpers
- 20:22 Cov uni professor's heart stopped in supermarket - and now he wants...
- 20:21 ‘Backlash’: Northern Territory alcohol floor price divides community
- 20:21 Donald Trump and Joe Biden exchange blows in Nevada as midterms loom
- 20:16 African town in rush to snap up Ponte ‘delicacy’
- 20:12 Lampard hails 'huge win' as Derby County see off Sheffield United
- 20:10 These important rules on sleeping next to babies could save your...
- 20:09 Mohamed Salah sends message to critics after Liverpool’s win...
- 20:04 Football League: Leeds continue to slip, Macclesfield avoid...
- 20:04 Alex Lewington’s late try adds gloss to Saracens’ routine win over...
- 20:04 Mohamed Salah strike settles nervy Liverpool win over Huddersfield
- 20:02 Magic Milner hits late winner for Belper Town
- 20:02 REPORT: Derby County 2-1 Sheffield United
- 20:01 Woman who injured brain ‘tram surfing’ sues rail company for £485,000
- 20:00 Charlie Sloth tells Edith Bowman to 'f**k her life' in awards...
- 20:00 The video that speaks volumes about Wolverhampton Wanderers under Nuno
- 19:58 Custom-built bicycle stolen in knifepoint robbery on Sheffield street
- 19:55 Custom-built bicycle stolen in knifepoint robbery on Sheffield street
- 19:46 Nicola Sturgeon quits BBC event over Steve Bannon invitation
- 19:46 John Bercow must resign if Westminster is to reform – Labour MP
- 19:41 Man stabbed in the face in second Heebie Jeebies knife attack in...
- 19:35 Charlie Sloth leaves BBC Radio 1 after 'f*** your life' rant during...
- 19:33 Huge crowd turns out in London to demand a 'people's vote' on Brexit