South Africa's school pit latrine scandal: Why children are drowning
During his first week at school, five-year-old Michael Komape drowned in a pit latrine in northern South Africa.
That day in January 2014 will be one his father James Komape will never forget.
As he takes me back to the school in Chebeng village, where the tragedy struck, his pain is palpable.
"When I arrived at the opening of the toilet hole all I could see was a small hand," he says.
"Some people were standing looking into the hole, no-one had thought to take him out. It's the saddest thing I've ever seen.
"No-one should die like that."
He pauses for a moment... read more
- 10:22 A-level joy for Heckmondwike Grammar School students
- 10:21 A-LEVELS: Impressive results at Louth Academy and Cordeaux
- 10:21 Outstanding results add up to an exciting future for CRGS pupils
- 10:20 Happy 130th birthday to Burnley and Pendle NSPCC branch!
- 10:20 15-year-old boy from Bradford charged with terrorism offences
- 10:20 Police want to trace these two men in connection with alleged theft...
- 10:20 Developer calls for council to release report and repeats legal...
- 10:20 Council praise for county’s sixth formers
- 10:19 Food and drink Voices: How can we future-proof food & drink in...
- 10:19 Scotch meat still top of the class
- 10:19 Can Blumhouse's political pod repeat Get Out's success? – podcasts...
- 10:19 Former Arsenal star Alan Smith explains why Mesut Ozil is Unai...
- 10:18 A-level joy for Heckmondwike Grammar School students
- 10:18 Developer calls for council to release report and repeats legal...
- 10:18 Council praise for county’s sixth formers
- 10:17 My life in sex: the 31-year-old who has never been kissed
- 10:17 Homes across Warwick district to get health check
- 10:17 Outstanding results add up to an exciting future for CRGS pupils
- 10:16 Lee Miller’s Nude Bent Forward: phallic curves from a pioneering...
- 10:16 Burnby Hall waterlilies talk
- 10:16 Diana Athill on VS Naipaul: ‘I worked very hard at keeping...
- 10:16 Artist's Aboriginal portraits back in Tasmania after 170 years
- 10:16 15-year-old boy from Bradford charged with terrorism offences
- 10:15 Stables Lane recreation area open for play
- 10:14 Understanding performance practice
- 10:14 Two children taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital after crash in...
- 10:14 Happy 130th birthday to Burnley and Pendle NSPCC branch!
- 10:13 GPs urge East Lancashire patients to use online appointment-booking...
- 10:13 Shocking moment East Coast Main Line workers run for lives as...
- 10:13 Joanna Dennehy 'believed to have attempted suicide in prison’