‘Sleeping’ supervolcanoes ‘could erupt much more quickly than we thought’
Supervolcano eruptions are a terrifying destructive force – which can blanket huge areas in ash and change the climate for decades.
The Yellowstone supervolcano under America could expel up to 250 square miles of volcanic rock and ash at once, possibly plunging Earth into a ‘volcanic winter’.
NASA has said that supervolcano eruptions are a bigger threat to life than any asteroid – and new research hints that the eruptions happen faster than we thought.
Yellowstone’s last super-eruption happened 631,000 years ago, but until now scientists believed that the ‘build up’ to such eruptions took... read more
- 16:03 Cops seize vehicle driven by learner driver after motorway collision
- 16:03 Arsenal ace Alex Iwobi makes honest revelation after Chelsea loss
- 16:02 This is what Leicester City boss Claude Puel had to say about...
- 15:59 Sir Bruce Forsyth's ashes laid to rest under stage at London Palladium
- 15:58 Jose Mourinho explains why he picked Anthony Martial to replace...
- 15:57 Lancaster man who climbed Ben Nevis in wheelchair donated funds to...
- 15:55 Dad with multiple sclerosis wants standing wheelchair so he can...
- 15:54 The heartwarming moment little girl watches her dad walk for the...
- 15:54 24 pictures of Leicester Belgrave Mela in city centre
- 15:52 Sergio Agüero hits hat-trick in Manchester City’s rout of Huddersfield
- 15:50 Did you see it? Super-wide load takes over the M53 and M6 this weekend
- 15:50 What will the weather be like in the run-up to the August Bank...
- 15:47 Motorists told to expect disruption as roadworks begin across...
- 15:47 Tory minister to give Conservative conference speech as...
- 15:45 What will the weather be like in the run-up to the August Bank...
- 15:45 Police warn residents not to take law in own hands
- 15:45 Urgent appeal issued in search for woman missing from Hartlepool
- 15:44 US supplied bomb that killed 40 children on Yemen school bus
- 15:44 Water levels start to fall in flood-ravaged Kerala as rain set to ease
- 15:43 Chesterfield’s cheapest petrol and diesel prices
- 15:42 Drunk man rescued after following a horse to find his way home...
- 15:41 Why men with erection problems shouldn't suffer in silence
- 15:40 20+ Out of this world images from Sci-fi on the Sidings
- 15:38 How to prepare for university now that results day is over
- 15:37 Roxanne Pallett takes the plunge in Celebrity Big Brother pool
- 15:35 Liverpool news: Summer transfer business assessed by Paul Merson
- 15:35 5 tips for buying train tickets for less according to transport...
- 15:34 Police warn residents not to take law in own hands
- 15:34 Man fined for being drunk at airshow
- 15:31 Hardeep Singh Kohli branded 'creepy' on Celebrity Big Brother as...