Sheffield comedian and actor Ted Beyer dies at 73
Sheffield actor and comedian Ted Beyer has died at the age of 73 after being taken ill with pneumonia.
Born Edward Yarnell, he became a popular comic on the South Yorkshire club circuit.
In 1980 film director Ken Loach gave him his acting break by casting him in a succession of TV films scripted by Barry Hines, The Gamekeeper, Looks and Smiles and The Price of Coal, in which he appeared with fellow Sheffield comedian Bobby Knutt.
Ted Beyer went on to appear in other TV series including Coronation Street, All Creatures Great and Small and Heartbeat and the film, Wetherby.
After retiring from... read more
- 01:23 Stratford MP reacts to Prime Minister May’s survival
- 01:16 David Dimbleby's 25 years on Question Time
- 01:12 Morrison government announces new federal anti-corruption commission
- 00:58 How MPs reacted to Theresa May's no confidence vote victory
- 00:55 Restaurant dishes 'contain more calories than fast-food meals'
- 00:55 Lake Titicaca: Underwater museum brings hope to shores
- 00:55 Strasbourg shooting: Face to face with gunman
- 00:55 Trump Russia affair: Key questions answered
- 00:52 England's primary school league tables to be published
- 00:50 With three D grades at A-level, 80% got university places
- 00:47 Les Misérables with 'contemporary relevance' to air on BBC
- 00:47 BBC's new EastEnders set over budget by £27m, watchdog finds
- 00:43 Nick Philippoussis child rape charges dropped after stroke
- 00:43 Jayne Dowle: Stop playing political games and start waking up to...
- 00:40 Briefing battle begins over meaning of May's victory
- 00:37 The Yorkshire Post says: Back in the real world – how, thanks to...
- 00:30 'If the factory closes what could I afford to eat?'
- 00:30 Marmite sprouts? Why retailers are pushing the boundaries with...
- 00:30 Hamleys pulls slime toy amid safety fears
- 00:30 Why are there so many pre Christmas sales?
- 00:27 Jail for Brighouse knife man who attacked two men in Wyke
- 00:25 Injured Aaron Mooy ruled out of Socceroos' Asian Cup defence
- 00:25 José Mourinho: we missed out at Valencia but it’s still been a success
- 00:24 Labour veteran Dennis Skinner accused of calling SNP MP ‘a piece of...
- 00:23 University acceptance rates for students with lower grades on the rise
- 00:23 Bradford music teacher shortlisted for $1m global education prize
- 00:19 Australian cardinal George Pell removed from inner circle by Pope...
- 00:18 Six slime and putty toys sold in UK fail to meet safety standards
- 00:18 UK property market at weakest since 2012 as Brexit takes toll – Rics
- 00:11 Sudoku 4,242 hard