Severe allergic reactions rise in children in England over past five years
The number of children being admitted to hospital in England with a severe allergic reaction has risen every year for the past five years.
NHS figures show 1,746 children were treated for anaphylactic shock in 2018-19, up from 1,015 in 2013-14.
The parents of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who died in 2016 after eating a baguette containing sesame, called the increase "deeply alarming".
Scientists say environmental factors could be to blame for more allergies.
Children under 10 were most likely to be affected by anaphylaxis, with 1,018 admitted to hospital last year - compared with 601... read more
- 19:33 Derby County forward undergoes surgery, reveals boss Phillip Cocu
- 19:33 Mystery over who put up wonky Christmas tree on Swadlincote roundabout
- 18:56 Editorial: What's wrong with tactical voting?
- 18:51 Tributes to Burton man who fronted dance bands for years
- 18:51 Moped thief jailed over robbery of deaf woman in Derby street
- 18:51 Teenage boy threatened with knife and hammer in Burton mugging
- 18:45 Road to shut for 8 days after gas leak in Melton town centre
- 18:41 Traditional seasonal celebrations about to begin in Alcester and...
- 18:41 Magic and mayhem as Christmas Market comes to Straford
- 18:14 Driver fined £1,452 after being caught smoking cigarette in work van
- 18:08 Derby pub has 'deep clean' after suspected case of hand, foot and...
- 17:37 Tory quits in racism row after saying Diane Abbott is giving away...
- 17:37 'We are close' - every word Mel Morris has said on Derby County...
- 17:37 Derby County fixture moved for live Sky Sports coverage - and FA...
- 17:25 Cast illness causes Curve Theatre to change West Side Story...
- 17:04 Investigation launched after 'safeguarding incident' at Leicester...
- 17:04 Unusual Christmas gifts for fashion lovers
- 17:04 Holy delicious: a foodie adventure in Tel Aviv
- 16:55 The Christmas Eve Box craze is back for 2019
- 16:55 Children in tears as break-in damage forces Burton soft play to close
- 16:55 Live updates as overturned milk tanker closes Derbyshire road
- 16:50 Year round-up Best of 2019: Science fiction and fantasy
- 16:50 Year round-up Best of 2019: Books
- 16:23 The Christmas Eve Box craze is back for 2019
- 16:17 First look at UK theme park The London Resort set to rival Disneyland
- 16:12 Pub landlord hires ‘chief excuse officer’ to help footie fans watch...
- 16:12 Derby County boss Phillip Cocu reveals latest on Tom Huddlestone's...
- 16:12 Live updates as three lanes closed on M1
- 16:12 Burton school to be shut next week for 'deep clean' due to sickness...
- 16:11 Year round-up Best of 2019: Jazz