Serena Williams wins at Indian Wells in first WTA Tour match in 14 months
Serena Williams has won her first match in her comeback at the BNP Paribas Open after a 14-month layoff for the birth of her first child.
The 23-time major winner beat Zarina Diyas of Kazakhstan 7-5, 6-3 in the first round Thursday night.
“It was incredible,” Williams said on court afterward. “It’s been over a year and a kid later and I get to go home to her now, and I’m excited about that.”
With new husband and Reddit co-found Alexis Ohanian looking on, Williams played from behind until breaking Diyas in the 11th game of the first set. Diyas netted a forehand and Williams yelled, “Come... read more
- 08:05 It'll Be Alright On The Night host Denis Norden dies aged 96
- 08:05 What do the UK weather warnings mean and when does the Met Office...
- 08:03 China won't devalue yuan to boost exports, says Premier Li
- 08:03 Tesco opens first discount store to take on Lidl and Aldi
- 08:02 Broken down vehicle causing rush-hour delays on M1 in South Yorkshire
- 08:02 Storm Ali's 80mph 'danger to life' winds set to hit Scotland
- 08:02 Bacteria causes suspension of breast milk service
- 08:02 London violent crime to be tackled with new unit
- 07:59 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:58 Chelsea news: New Blues star’s impact is 'biggest since Jose...
- 07:58 Driving ban for man caught over alcohol limit
- 07:58 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge SLAMMED despite scoring in...
- 07:53 What is being done to tackle Calderdale's poor sport facilities and...
- 07:53 Owners’ despair at costly raids on Calderdale bar
- 07:53 Joint effort on adoption for five North-East councils
- 07:51 Police looking for girl, eight, last seen out walking before midnight
- 07:47 India man held for 'inhumane torture' of sister
- 07:47 Mexico corpse trailer: Jalisco forensic chief Luis Octavio Cotero...
- 07:46 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:46 16-year-old Buxton girl missing
- 07:45 Joint effort on adoption for five North-East councils
- 07:45 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:43 Live updates: Road closures after major fire at Royalty Cinema on...
- 07:41 Pair face jail for supplying deadly drug to Derbyshire student
- 07:41 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:40 Police handling of 40 years of gay hate crimes under scrutiny in NSW
- 07:40 'Crimes which sicken our society': Peru president leads...
- 07:40 'If we go, who will do the jobs?': Romanians in London – photo essay
- 07:40 Wreck of Captain Cook's HMS Endeavour 'discovered' off US coast
- 07:40 Rotherham Council to regain control of services after sex scandal