Self-harming children refused access to mental health services because symptoms ‘not severe enough’
Children in crisis are being refused access to mental health services because they have not yet attempted to take their own lives, according to a shocking new report.
The most common reason cited by patients for being turned away was that their needs were “not serious enough” to meet service thresholds, despite more than 79% of rejected referrals coming from GPs.
The Scottish Government report found there was a common belief that “unless the child or young person is suicidal or at risk of harm, they will not be seen”.
One parent reported being informed that her son “doesn’t have an eating... read more
- 12:49 Shocking moment man flees police at speed before attacking one officer
- 12:49 Chorley's Santa Express set to return to Lancashire this Christmas...
- 12:49 Thieves steal cash and Christmas party collection from St...
- 12:48 CBI urges government to end damaging Brexit uncertainty
- 12:48 Uber to introduce clean air fee to all London rides
- 12:46 Homeless epidemic worsens in Wellingborough as cases double
- 12:46 Robbers armed with gun and machete hunted over Doncaster post...
- 12:46 Identical twins born female transition to male at the same time
- 12:46 From Blockbusters to Blind Date: Cult TV show comebacks
- 12:45 Police and parents shocked after 13-year-old boy caught with knife...
- 12:45 Cowboy bar targets opening date after winning licence to replace...
- 12:44 Your little one can win the chance to join Santa in his grotto
- 12:44 Meet Kasey, Lester and Ella-Rose: Northampton's first triplets in...
- 12:44 Mayor given vote of no confidence
- 12:42 If you are single, living in Doncaster and tired of Tinder, apply...
- 12:42 Firefighters remove 29 tonnes of coal which set alight onboard...
- 12:42 Nearly 10,000 children regularly missing from Sheffield's schools...
- 12:42 Here’s how you can get a free pint and taxi ride in Edinburgh
- 12:42 Council defends spending £12,000 on Hartlepool estate’s new bus...
- 12:41 Sutton woman celebrates 108-years of life
- 12:41 Underwood play centre, cafe and pub application refused
- 12:41 Man Utd vs Juventus: Sky Sports pundit makes Champions League EXIT...
- 12:41 Red Kangaroo fire: fire service latest on devastating blaze
- 12:40 Shipwreck found in Black Sea is 'world's oldest intact'
- 12:39 Jumeirah Beach Hotel: a room with Dubai’s best view
- 12:39 Where you can see firework displays across Aylesbury Vale for 2018
- 12:39 Country barn hosts masquerade ball to raise funds for brain tumour...
- 12:36 Will folic acid ever be added to UK flour?
- 12:36 Honour today’s Armed Forces personnel now
- 12:34 Turkish president rejects Saudi account of Khashoggi killing