Scottish skies lit with fireworks over 500 years ago
SCOTLAND'S earliest public fireworks display was held nearly 60 years earlier than previously believed, new research into historical archives has revealed.
Researchers have discovered the first display was staged in honour of King James IV at Edinburgh Castle.
The capital landmark is internationally renowned for modern-day pyrotechnic extravaganzas marking key events such as the arrival of a new year, but ancient records show the tradition began more than 500 years ago.
Experts had previously believed the first fireworks were set off in Stirling in 1566, but new evidence has been uncovered... read more
- 00:37 Monika Billen: German tourist found dead in Australian outback
- 00:34 School's protective fence plan prompts neighbour complaints
- 00:30 Sudoku 4,271 hard
- 00:28 Parents' break-up more likely to harm mental health of children...
- 00:23 Reece Prescod: ‘I want to run sub-10 seconds for the 100m at every...
- 00:23 Manu Tuilagi ready to make ‘explosive’ England comeback, says...
- 00:22 Putin warns West on Balkans as Serbia prepares lavish welcome
- 00:21 Hermes: Where the luxury giant is an industry outsider
- 00:13 Why are the Chinese buying fewer cars?
- 00:13 Commuters and students 'short-changed by the government'
- 00:13 Retailers told to clean up act over fake faux fur
- 00:13 No-deal Brexit warning for UK drivers
- 00:13 Housing market outlook worst 'for 20 years'
- 23:57 School's protective fence plan prompts neighbour complaints
- 23:57 Residents' rage over garage forecourt facelift
- 23:54 Residents' rage over garage forecourt facelift
- 23:49 Larry Nassar case: University head John Engler 'set to resign'
- 23:48 Former West Indies coach Stuart Law says old charges can trouble...
- 23:48 Professional rider Mason Lowe dies after bull steps on his chest at...
- 23:47 Chelsea keen on £40m deal with Everton… but Kurt Zouma is part of...
- 23:42 Harry Redknapp’s granddaughter Molly 'dating' I'm A Celeb's Malique...
- 23:41 US to begin INF treaty pullout next month after Russia missile...
- 23:41 Pranksters defend spreading fake news of Trump's departure
- 23:41 Top North Korean officials reportedly set for Washington visit
- 23:41 Greek PM wins confidence vote after Macedonia name crisis
- 23:36 Football Leaks: 'Suspected hacker' detained in Hungary
- 23:29 Hillsborough trial hears how risk of Liverpool fan crush was 'obvious'
- 23:29 Clubber Mohammed Abdul who drove car onto dancefloor banned from roads
- 23:29 Shoreham Airshow crash pilot Andrew Hill played 'fast and loose'...
- 23:29 Meghan Markle's £25 H&M dress sends internet into frenzy - and you...