Scots babies at higher risk of catching flu if they have older siblings
Small children run a significantly greater risk of serious illness from flu if they have older siblings.
A study of 400,000 Scots children shows babies and toddlers are more likely to be admitted to hospital with flu complications if they are not the first born in their family.
Researchers said children are “effective spreaders” of respiratory infections and can easily pass viruses on to vulnerable younger siblings.
Parents can help protect young children by getting older offspring vaccinated.
- 10:17 Car ploughs into estate agents
- 10:16 Businesses urged not to miss out on £3,000 broadband vouchers
- 10:16 Poundland plans to take over 20 former Poundworld stores
- 10:16 Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance called to ‘crash’ scenario at RAF Scampton
- 10:15 Window of opportunity for children and parents at Park Academy
- 10:15 The best TV shows this week
- 10:15 Diogo Dalot reacts to making Man Utd debut and sends message to...
- 10:15 Preston weather forecast: Yellow warnings in place as heavy rain...
- 10:15 Morecambe’s volunteer lifeboat crew launch to man in water
- 10:14 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:12 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad - five Wasps included
- 10:12 The best TV shows this week
- 10:11 Netball team smash target in teammate’s memory
- 10:11 Typhoon Mangkhut has made landfall in southern China
- 10:11 WWE NXT: Results, winners, grades
- 10:10 Danny Cipriani left out of England squad while Manu Tuilagi earns...
- 10:10 Video shows chairs and punches thrown during mass brawl at boxing...
- 10:10 Hackers steal £45million from Japanese digital currency exchange
- 10:09 Weather warnings in place as Storm Ali blows into Wakefield
- 10:08 Beach rebuilding efforts won't stave off climate change impacts...
- 10:08 Heavy rain to hit England and Wales in aftermath of Storm Ali
- 10:08 James Bond 25: Cary Fukunaga named as new director
- 10:08 Beijing complains as US 'orders Chinese media to register as...
- 10:08 Headteacher 'suspended' and ambitious '£60k theatre' torn down -...
- 10:08 Parents urged to apply for Northants school places for September...
- 10:07 Nine-year-old girl tragically dies after eating wrong Cadbury...
- 10:07 Iceland are selling packets of ready made scrambled eggs
- 10:07 LOOKING BACK: Railway threatened with close and new care home
- 10:06 Warwick residents join ‘Big Tidy Up’ event
- 10:06 Lincs & Notts Air Ambulance called to ‘crash’ scenario at RAF Scampton