Scientists seek public's help to map plastic on UK beaches
Food wrappers, fishing nets, bottles, straws and carrier bags are among the top 10 plastic items littering British beaches, according to new research.
An interactive map of the UK published Friday to coincide with British Science Week highlights the most common and unusual plastic pollution of the coastline.
Among the most found items were plastic bottles, straws, plastic fishing line and food container lids. But researchers from the British Science Association and the charity The Plastic Tide also found lavatory seats, tampons and toys.
Using aerial photos of UK beaches and drone... read more
- 07:58 Chelsea news: New Blues star’s impact is 'biggest since Jose...
- 07:58 Driving ban for man caught over alcohol limit
- 07:58 Liverpool news: Daniel Sturridge SLAMMED despite scoring in...
- 07:53 What is being done to tackle Calderdale's poor sport facilities and...
- 07:53 Owners’ despair at costly raids on Calderdale bar
- 07:53 Joint effort on adoption for five North-East councils
- 07:51 Police looking for girl, eight, last seen out walking before midnight
- 07:47 India man held for 'inhumane torture' of sister
- 07:47 Mexico corpse trailer: Jalisco forensic chief Luis Octavio Cotero...
- 07:46 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:46 16-year-old Buxton girl missing
- 07:45 Joint effort on adoption for five North-East councils
- 07:45 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:43 Live updates: Road closures after major fire at Royalty Cinema on...
- 07:41 Pair face jail for supplying deadly drug to Derbyshire student
- 07:41 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:40 Police handling of 40 years of gay hate crimes under scrutiny in NSW
- 07:40 'Crimes which sicken our society': Peru president leads...
- 07:40 'If we go, who will do the jobs?': Romanians in London – photo essay
- 07:40 Wreck of Captain Cook's HMS Endeavour 'discovered' off US coast
- 07:40 Rotherham Council to regain control of services after sex scandal
- 07:39 TV legend Denis Norden dies aged 96
- 07:39 "It doesn't suit him" - Our findings as West Brom edge thriller...
- 07:37 Man Utd news: Jose Mourinho used Liverpool vs PSG clash to ‘open...
- 07:37 Rotherham Council to regain control of services after sex scandal
- 07:37 Wet weather sets back reopening of Lancaster’s Greyhound Bridge
- 07:36 Pair face jail for supplying deadly drug to Derbyshire student
- 07:36 Sunny spells and gales set for today
- 07:36 Friend faces jail for supplying drug to Derbyshire student Joana Burns
- 07:35 Mum thanks ‘lifesaving’ pharmacist after son’s huge allergic...