Satellite images show 'runaway' expansion of coal power in China
Chinese power plants run on coal, thought to have been cancelled because of government edicts, are still being built and are threatening to “seriously undermine” global climate goals, researchers have warned.
Satellite photos taken in 2018 of locations in China reveal cooling towers and new buildings that were not present a year earlier at plants that were meant to stop operations or be postponed by orders from Beijing.
The projects are part of an “approaching tsunami” of coal plants that would boost China’s existing coal capacity by 25%, according to the research group Coalswarm.
The total... read more
- 16:33 MPs slam Brexit chaos and demand answers on path forward
- 16:32 Moxy Hotels to open at Edinburgh Airport in the new year
- 16:32 Send us a tip on a UK winter walk for the chance to win a £200...
- 16:32 Share your best travel discovery of 2018 for the chance of winning...
- 16:32 Support Katharine House Hospice – with cocktails
- 16:31 Couple jailed for having sex with 14-year-old girl together in...
- 16:31 Ingoldmells Academy
- 16:31 Family's anguish at wait for murder victim Yasir Hussain's funeral
- 16:30 Hooligans in 'disgraceful' mass brawl at Hull Cheese pub during...
- 16:30 ISS: Space walk cosmonauts investigate mystery hole
- 16:29 Woman stole items worth more than £300 from Tesco
- 16:29 Police appeal after hit-and-run involving 14-year-old boy in South...
- 16:29 Woman fined after stealing a number of items including Ariel liquitabs
- 16:29 Lincs: See who has been in court
- 16:29 Christmas-obsessed woman erects over 400 trees in her...
- 16:29 What to buy the dog (or the dog lover) in your life this Christmas
- 16:29 Couple jailed for having sex with 14-year-old girl together in...
- 16:28 Brexit: More than £100K spent on Facebook and other ads for May's deal
- 16:28 Google chief denies political bias claims
- 16:28 Nursing applications drop 14% in St Helens following bursary...
- 16:27 New in depth details released for £18m Elland train station project
- 16:26 York Christmas market 'hell' leads to overcrowding fears
- 16:25 Woman stole items worth more than £300 from Tesco
- 16:25 Woman fined after stealing a number of items including Ariel liquitabs
- 16:25 Lincs: See who has been in court
- 16:25 Businessman 'bludgeoned sex worker to death with pestle'
- 16:25 Large delays as police rush to scene after two-vehicle crash on A1...
- 16:23 Find the best bar in town with new "Capacity" app
- 16:23 Overdale Junior School
- 16:22 People 'at risk' of homelessness soars by almost 25 per cent in a year