Samurai-wielding robber holds up shop leaving 80-year-old shopkeeper injured
An elderly shopkeeper was injured when he struggled with a robber armed with a Samurai sword.
The incident happened at the NewsBoyz newsagents in Penicuik , Midlothian, just after 8pm on Friday.
The 80-year-old was working inside the shop when the man entered with a Samurai-type sword and demanded money.
A struggle ensued between the suspect and the shopkeeper, who attempted to grab the weapon.
The man received a minor injury to his hand while the robber made off with a three-figure sum.
Police Scotland Detective Inspector Paul Batten said: "This is an extremely unusual offence, given... read more
- 07:52 Mum’s anger as doctor is allowed to practise again after death of son
- 07:52 Vaping can damage lungs, study funds
- 07:50 Jury in Ben Stokes affray trial will retire to consider verdict today
- 07:50 Third of homes in Scotland fail to live up to expectations
- 07:49 Investigation continues into death of baby found in Wesham
- 07:49 Live updates as Hull shop 'ram-raided' overnight
- 07:49 Car crashes into barriers outside Houses of Parliament
- 07:48 Arsonists hunted over blazes across South Yorkshire
- 07:48 Andy Murray takes positives from Lucas Pouille defeat in Cincinnati...
- 07:48 Investigation continues into death of baby found in Wesham
- 07:48 Turkish lira crisis: market jitters send Indian rupee to record low...
- 07:47 Diogo Dalot set to resume full training with Manchester United
- 07:47 Roger Federer begins US Open mind games with Novak Djokovic
- 07:47 Vaping can damage lungs, study funds
- 07:46 Venezuela crisis: Maduro to curb fuel subsidies
- 07:41 Third of homes in Scotland fail to live up to expectations
- 07:40 Metro Road Trip: Your summer pictures of the southern counties
- 07:38 This is when experts predict it will rain again in Leeds
- 07:35 Stratford Road caller rings 999 to ask where to buy baby milk
- 07:34 Cheshire archeologist who recovered famous bog body dies
- 07:32 What will be decided at Northamptonshire County Council cabinet...
- 07:29 Bus lane proposed for Lancaster’s Greyhound Bridge
- 07:28 Chelsea news: Asmir Begovic gives honest opinion on Kepa...
- 07:28 Jury in Ben Stokes affray trial to retire and consider verdicts
- 07:27 School cuts: ‘Children now raise money for their own education’
- 07:24 Pervert teenager threatened and manipulated underage girls to get...
- 07:23 Carlisle City Council paid £290,000 more than expected for new...
- 07:23 Paddy McLaughlin reflects on Hartlepool United’s difficult National...
- 07:22 Weighing in over cancelling David Lloyd fitness membership
- 07:19 Car egged and wrapped in cling film after being left on roadside...