Samoa helped to generate millions by playing England but go home with a measly £75,000 donation... rugby's broken economics just don't add up
Out of the 368 players who took to the field in last week's autumn internationals, 104 of those were Pacific Islanders. But how much money was banked back in Samoa, Fiji and Tonga?
Not a penny.
At Twickenham on Saturday, when England hosted Samoa, supporters flocked in - paying £60 a ticket and £6 a pint - and helped the RFU secure one of their biggest paydays of the year.
The RFU gave £75,000 donation as a gesture of goodwill but the sport's economics just do not add up. England will keep 100% of the profits and the richest will just get even richer.
If the Pacific Islands provided 28 per... read more
- 23:15 Polish up your pecs: women prefer strong men, say scientists
- 04:36 Wolves digest: Patricio's message; Good times ahead; Nuno's only...
- 23:15 Archaeologists find earliest evidence of bread
- 04:36 West Bromwich Albion's 2018/19 plans are finally starting to take...
- 04:36 Birmingham City plan a re-think after transfer window setback
- 23:11 VMAs 2018: Cardi B, Beyoncé and Jay-Z lead nominees
- 04:36 Aston Villa's preparations continue but the off-field issues take...
- 23:09 May narrowly heads off defeat after caving in to Brexit hardliners
- 21:44 Trump's Nato approach helped make a difference, says May
- 21:44 Sending MPs on early holiday could make all the difference for May
- 04:35 £1.5m to mend potholes in Leeds is not enough, claims leader
- 21:44 Labour plans radical selection overhaul including all BAME shortlists
- 19:37 Rocket men: locals divided over plans for UK's first spaceport
- 19:36 'We're building a bridge' – the exhibition shining a light on...
- 19:36 Anna Soubry on Brexit: ‘History will condemn those who haven’t...
- 04:01 Trump-Putin summit: US president under fire over poll meddling...
- 03:56 Private tutors 'should face DBS criminal record checks'
- 03:56 Some slime toys have 'potentially unsafe levels' of boron - Which?
- 03:56 Millions to face hosepipe ban in north-west England
- 18:53 Trio of new Doctor Who companions unveiled
- 01:44 'How we made Now That's What I Call Music 100'
- 18:52 Is your paddling pool a cool oasis – or a giant puddle of infection?
- 01:44 Crane numbers 'could rise by 50%' in next 50 years
- 01:44 Kent and Medway NHS hernia policy 'may be rationing' surgery
- 18:52 Five things grownups should do before going online this summer
- 01:53 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 03:49 Horsefly bites 'could kill' warning as heatwave increases populations
- 03:49 Neighbourhood litter sweep in Northampton called off after...
- 01:44 Wakefield’s £5.9m social care hubs are saving NHS resources and...
- 01:42 Horrendous smell from River Freshney leaves residents feeling sick