Salary question blamed for gender pay gap
The practice of many firms of asking job applicants what they currently earn is partly to blame for trapping women on low pay, a charity has said.
"The salary question" means women underpaid in their current job are more likely to be underpaid in the next one, The Young Women's Trust charity said.
It said including salary details in job adverts instead would help close the gender pay gap between men and women.
The CBI warned the move could have "unintended consequences".
"Closing the gender pay gap is complex.
"Publishing pay bands on job adverts is good... read more
- 07:47 Crash forces closure of major Rotherham road
- 07:46 Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco have slumped to bottom of...
- 07:46 O2 bills are set to rise for millions of customers from April
- 07:45 Sex attacker on the run after ESCAPING from prison van near M42
- 07:45 Leeds United transfer target in talks on future as Manchester...
- 07:45 Chesterfield soldier backs calls to make monitoring rate of...
- 07:41 Public asked for views on Blyth relief road proposals
- 07:39 Curle well aware of Chair threat as Cobblers get set for Stevenage...
- 07:37 Traffic delays as thousands head to Sheffield’s Endcliffe Park for...
- 07:37 Bowser takes over at Nintendo in US after Fils-Aime's 13-year reign
- 07:33 Twitter challenge to condense Shakespeare into 280 characters
- 07:33 Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco have slumped to bottom of...
- 07:33 Horne, Bradbury and Grigg come in as Townsend tests Scottish depth...
- 07:33 Traffic delays as thousands head to Sheffield’s Endcliffe Park for...
- 07:29 Traffic: Five-vehicle crash on A19 at Sunderland
- 07:29 Michael Raynes OUT for season - Hartlepool United’s Craig Hignett...
- 07:29 Live Coventry traffic news: Ring road, M6, A46, A45, M69 and more
- 07:27 Man Utd vs Liverpool: Paul Merson makes big game prediction - ‘The...
- 07:27 Chelsea vs Man City: Paul Merson makes Carabao Cup final prediction...
- 07:25 Northants legend and Saints lock strike up fantastic friendship
- 07:23 Rotherham cyclist Ben Swift in intensive care after crash
- 07:22 Exclusions that are part and parcel of Hermes’s T&Cs
- 07:22 Scratchcards sales to under-18s should be banned, says minister
- 07:22 'I can't afford to live here': Oakland teachers strike in city...
- 07:22 Gambling apps more dangerous than FOBTs, study finds
- 07:22 Theatre fund-raising drive nears its £800,000 target
- 07:22 Why didn't Amazon pay federal taxes for the second consecutive year?
- 07:22 Celebration of life for inspirational teacher
- 07:21 Traffic: Eight-vehicle crash on A19 at Sunderland
- 07:20 'Who will pay £30m?' Aston Villa fans have their say on Jack...