Ryder Cup: how golf is new focus of soft power diplomacy
As the Ryder Cup tees off for the first time in France this weekend, at a vast course beyond the Palace of Versailles, golf is becoming a new focus of soft power diplomacy in an era of a US president who not only loves the links but owns numerous courses.
The tournament that pits top US golfers against top Europeans is the world’s most-watched sporting event after the Olympics and the football World Cup – one of the last huge sports competitions still limited to western nations from each edge of the Atlantic.
At a time when European relations with the US president, Donald Trump, are... read more
- 00:32 Rory McIlroy shooting for a Mexico stand-off with Dustin Johnson
- 00:32 Chris Eubank Jr beats James DeGale to send Londoner towards retirement
- 00:29 Oscars 2019: How will the ceremony change this year?
- 00:28 Tymoshenko v Tymoshenko: Funny business at the polls
- 00:28 Australian farmers' long road after mass cattle deaths
- 00:28 Gambling addict with brain injury spent £210,000
- 00:28 Supermarkets misleading shoppers on healthy food, say nutritionists
- 00:24 How Preston North End's players rated in their win over Millwall -...
- 00:19 Greece's invisible minority - the Macedonian Slavs
- 00:18 Kim Jong Un boards train to head to summit with Trump in Vietnam
- 00:17 'He lost control' - Craig Hignett reacts to remarkable refereeing...
- 00:15 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:15 Observer sudoku
- 00:11 Scots activewear brand launches jacket made out of coffee grounds
- 00:11 Two injured after major 11-vehicle crash on M8 in central Glasgow
- 00:11 Neil Lennon: The possibility of Celtic winning a treble treble is...
- 00:11 Iain Morrison: French thrilling in full flight but Scots tough...
- 00:07 Review: Ford’s Focus, Edge and Active
- 00:07 Warren Buffett takes swipe at Trump in shareholder letter
- 00:02 Eddie Jones will not rule out title as Warren Gatland chases grand...
- 23:50 Euan McColm: Moral courage of TIG dissidents won’t cut it
- 23:49 Arsenal ready to beat Manchester City and Chelsea to £40m...
- 23:49 Chris Eubank Jr drops James DeGale twice on way to convincing...
- 23:48 Leeds United: Key win over Bolton but Bielsa unhappy at more missed...
- 23:44 ‘Robust and committed’ MK Dons delight boss Tisdale
- 23:39 Stop delays over premature baby leave, MP warns
- 23:33 The Big Interview: James Withers of Scotland Food & Drink
- 23:33 Forests in Scottish Highlands being sold off ‘like the family jewels’
- 23:32 Dylan Hartley will miss remainder of Six Nations due to upcoming...
- 23:30 Drought and low milk prices push dairy farmers to the brink