Rikke Schmidt Kjaergaard on surviving locked-in syndrome
Imagine suddenly finding yourself in a world where you can't speak, move or even breathe unaided.
Your heart stopped on the way to hospital, meaning you've briefly technically died, but they managed to keep you alive.
But now you have to, somehow, survive what comes next - being 'locked' inside your own unresponsive body.
Your distraught family has been warned to prepare for your funeral (your husband decides on scattering your ashes in Cambridge, a place that has special memories for you both).
And your three children have to immediately take life-saving medication to stop them catching... read more
- 14:33 PICTURES: Blaze at former Bircotes school
- 14:33 VIDEO: Opening date revealed for new Doncaster town centre...
- 14:32 Anger over alleged bus fare increases across Sheffield
- 14:32 Here's how long the heatwave will last in the South of England
- 14:31 Coventry's first knife bin to be unveiled today
- 14:30 Here's how long the heatwave will last in the South of England
- 14:30 Adorable Oystercatcher chick rescued from 6ft deep Yorkshire drain
- 14:30 Open garden event at stunning Ribble Valley home
- 14:29 Expect the unexpected!: Pendle road safety group's awareness event...
- 14:29 The Real Schools Guide: Search for your secondary school
- 14:29 Concern for man who has gone missing while visiting Leicester
- 14:29 Can you get out of the car if you're stuck in a motorway jam? The...
- 14:29 Here's how long the heatwave will last in the South of England
- 14:28 Wave of support for conservation
- 14:28 Man to face trial over Roker Avenue rape allegation
- 14:28 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:27 Leeds mum accused of allowing son to ‘rot to death’ tells jury: ‘I...
- 14:27 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:27 Ice cream doesn’t actually cool you down (so here’s what to do in...
- 14:27 Donald Trump blasts restaurant that booted out his press secretary
- 14:26 Mud and rain are part of festival season – sexual harassment and...
- 14:26 Soap stars scouted out to be skills ambassadors
- 14:26 Harley-Davidson to shift some production out of US over EU tariffs
- 14:26 Oil firm headed by Tory donor refused to pay £14m consultancy bill
- 14:25 Drunk who threatened to chop off teenager’s fingers with meat...
- 14:25 Friars Square has the best shopping centre security team in the...
- 14:24 Male students in England and Wales more likely to kill themselves
- 14:24 Romance fraud victim from Derbyshire 'considered committing suicide'
- 14:23 Barcelona transfer news: Antoine Griezmann snub theory discussed by...
- 14:23 Anger over alleged bus fare increases across Sheffield