REVEALED: Sheffield hospital wing closed on fire safety grounds will end up costing the NHS £122m under ‘rip off’ PFI scheme
The Northern General Hospital building which was shut down last year on fire safety grounds has cost the NHS more than £37 million – almost £12m more than it originally cost to build. The Hadfield wing was closed in December after fire officers ordered hospital bosses to shut it until remedial work could be carried out on its walls.
The building was opened in 2007 after being constructed under a private finance initiative contract by Japanese company Kajima.
A majority stake in the contract was sold to Guernsey-based investment fund HICL in 2011, with the NHS paying more than £3.5m in... read more
- 01:37 UK scientists join race for lab-grown meat
- 01:12 Preston schoolgirl Saira Ali wins a national LEGO competition by...
- 01:08 Scott Morrison rules out One Nation preference deal after...
- 01:08 Nebraska floods: private pilots fly in to help city walled off by...
- 01:02 Sudoku 4,323 medium
- 00:54 Guardian readers help write history
- 00:52 Man's 400-mile drive to help stranger visit dying mother
- 00:52 'Stupid' Cadbury treasure hunt ad withdrawn after complaints
- 00:35 Italy's La Scala opera house to return Saudi millions
- 00:34 No-deal Brexit could mean £130m hit to research budgets
- 00:32 Russell Galley: Working together to put end to financial exclusion
- 00:29 Children predict future to have flying cars and robot waiters
- 00:27 Why are Venezuelans seeking refuge in crypto-currencies?
- 00:21 England’s post-16 qualifications to be streamlined
- 00:19 Mark Casci: Celebrating what is great and good about Yorkshire...
- 00:19 Flying cars and robot waiters in children's views of the future
- 00:17 Home leasehold system needs reform, say MPs
- 00:17 World's most expensive cities revealed
- 00:16 Children predict future to have flying cars and robot waiters
- 00:16 Women's NCAA Tournament: 11-time champs UConn miss out on No1 seed
- 00:12 UK breast cancer death rates falling fastest in ‘big six’ of Europe
- 00:12 Use forecast to talk about climate change, urges ex-BBC presenter
- 00:12 MPs call for Viagogo boycott and shake-up of ticket touting laws
- 00:12 Discrimination against urban music persists, says report to MPs
- 00:07 Alun Wyn Jones says don’t rule out Warren Gatland coaching England
- 00:02 British billionaire holds Chelsea takeover talks as Roman...
- 23:32 Watch BBC One's brand new trailer for Gentleman Jack
- 23:27 Drug dealer fled hospital in boxers with drip attached so he didn’t...
- 23:15 Germany’s learning visits offer measure of Dan Ashworth’s England...
- 23:09 Greens push to suspend Fraser Anning from parliament