Retail closures: the UK's best loved high street stores lost over the years
High street department store House of Fraser has today been bought by Sports Direct for £90 million, after falling into administration.
While plans are still not clear, the move could see the 59 stores being re-branded as Sports Direct, marking another major retailer loss from the high street.
This year has also seen the loss of Toys R Us, Maplin and Carpetright among just a few of the biggest names to be closing down.
Department store Debenhams also announced plans this year to close down a number of their stores, along with Poundworld, while eateries Prezzo and Jamie's Italian are also... read more
- 01:55 Vegetarian meat substitutes 'exceeding salt limits'
- 01:47 Attending public or private school makes no difference in Naplan...
- 01:27 South Shields care home team win national award for going the extra...
- 01:22 Amy Schumer announces pregnancy on Instagram
- 01:16 Monsanto trial: judge rejects bid to overturn landmark cancer verdict
- 01:16 Guns and guards to be removed from Korean 'truce village' of Panmunjom
- 01:15 Demands for extra cash for ‘ignored’ children
- 01:12 Beaver reintroduction positive example of 'rewilding' says study
- 01:10 Liam Fox says Trump 'very keen' on trade deal
- 01:08 Britain's oldest football referee William "Harry" Hardy funeral
- 01:06 Andrew Vine: Politicians must get out of the gutter and heed the...
- 01:02 Tim Dewey: Budget must deliver three cheers for the great British...
- 01:02 Diana Johnson: Time to remove the stigma from our abortion laws and...
- 01:02 Pret sandwich death: Michael Gove to meet family
- 01:00 World's oldest intact shipwreck discovered in Black Sea
- 00:59 Stephen Hawking's personal items to be sold at auction
- 00:56 Spending plans must not ignore children, government told
- 00:46 Scheme to bring affordable housing to Knaresborough officially...
- 00:41 Man ‘stoned to death’ by monkeys
- 00:34 Highlands and Islands named among top world destinations for 2019
- 00:32 DVDs have had their day as shoppers go skimpy and sustainable
- 00:31 Sexual harassment inquiry finds it's not safe for women and girls...
- 00:29 Bodybuilding brothers face-off
- 00:29 Traffic lights failure caused long delays
- 00:28 Sudoku 4,198 medium
- 00:24 The Yorkshire Post says: The test of time. New alarm over sales...
- 00:24 The Yorkshire Post says: New technology. Yorkshire and skills...
- 00:24 Is blockchain living up to the hype?
- 00:21 Scheme to bring affordable housing to Knaresborough officially...
- 00:20 Why I hate meetings - and how to make them better