Residents call to meet with council to discuss new sports club plan for Temple Park
Residents fighting plans to build a new sports club on public land in South Tyneside are demanding face to face meeting with council chiefs over the scheme.
Opponents of a plan for Temple Park, South Shields, want council chiefs to reject a bid by the South Shields and Westoe Club to relocate there from its home of 168 years a mile away, in Wood Terrace.
The club wants to build new rugby and cricket pitches, as well as squash and tennis facilities, to match its vision of expansion.
Its present site would be sold to developers, who want to construct 82 luxury homes.
More than 1,000 people... read more
- 02:18 US-Turkey row: Pastor a 'pawn in personal feud'
- 02:18 Ecuador tightens entry rules for Venezuelan migrants
- 01:54 Child passive smoking 'increases chronic lung risk'
- 01:48 Aston Villa's Marc Albrighton keeps feet on ground in hometown...
- 01:30 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 01:06 Resilient travel agents fight back against Airbnb
- 00:59 Observer killer sudoku
- 00:59 Observer sudoku
- 00:57 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:57 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:54 How quinoa is changing farmers' lives in Peru
- 00:52 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:50 West Yorkshire Police makes £1.8m selling uninsured cars: Porsches,...
- 00:50 Vintage bikes theft anguish
- 00:50 Middlesex v Yorkshire: As it happened
- 00:48 Join the latest craze as zero-alcohol spirits are taking Britain's...
- 00:48 The A-word: Bonnie Estridge has Alzheimer's... but life goes on
- 00:43 Yemi Osinbajo: Why Nigeria's favourite leader won't become...
- 00:40 Video: Crowd waits for Paloma at Rasen racecourse
- 00:40 Former Louth & Horncastle MP, Sir Peter Tapsell, dies aged 88
- 00:39 Obituary: Bui Tin, the reporter who changed his country's fate
- 00:36 Idris Elba: ‘My ambition is boundless’
- 00:30 'We are real': Saudi feminists launch online radio
- 00:27 Putin urges Europe to help rebuild Syria so refugees can return
- 00:27 Kofi Annan: tributes pour in for ‘an outstanding human being’
- 00:26 End of Greek bailouts offers little hope to young
- 00:20 The French connection: How Catalonia got its ballot papers
- 00:20 Chelsea news: Eden Hazard compares Maurizio Sarri and Antonio Conte...
- 00:20 Carl Frampton beats Luke Jackson after ninth round stoppage
- 00:14 Ode to joy: how to find happiness in balloons and rainbows