Republican Steve King in white supremacy furore
A right-wing Republican congressman is under fire from his own party after questioning why terms like "white supremacy" are controversial.
Steve King of Iowa also pondered in a New York Times interview when labels like "white nationalists" became offensive.
Fellow Republican Jeb Bush said condemnation was not enough, and called for party grandees to oust Mr King.
Mr King has since defended his remarks, saying they were mischaracterised.
Speaking on the floor of the House of Representatives on Friday, he said he regretted "the heartburn that has poured forth" as... read more
- 11:46 Here's what you think to the new Wakefield AFC
- 11:45 Bake sale to be held in Shirebrook in aid of Stand Up To Cancer
- 11:44 Saving water is the lesson for pupils
- 11:44 Chinese student Wangzhen Lu kidnapped in Canadian car park
- 11:44 'Historic day' - French-German parliament meets
- 11:43 Transport investment is key to growth in the Leeds City Region
- 11:43 Hartlepool United midfielder set for exit as Leeds, Newcastle,...
- 11:43 More than 90 Cleveland Police officers off on sick leave with stress
- 11:43 Britain braced for 'hottest spring on record' according to...
- 11:43 This panto in Wigan is definitely for adults!
- 11:43 Teachers would back car-free roads outside schools, survey suggests
- 11:42 Emery grabs the only goal as Town take another step to title
- 11:42 Drunk driver arrested for hit and run in Selby
- 11:42 Apprentices from Burnley blazing a trail for business success in...
- 11:41 Automation could replace 1.5 million jobs, says ONS
- 11:40 UB40’s Brian Travers has brain tumour, thanks fans letting him...
- 11:40 How Tesco is changing the way it sells fruit and veg
- 11:40 DWP staff reveal the truth about Universal Credit
- 11:40 Meet the bikers fighting back against the thieves taking their...
- 11:40 Spring clean to be held in Wooler
- 11:40 Treble tops for Warwickshire Bears but Ash almost bailed out
- 11:40 Brave six-year-old Sophia donates bone marrow to little brother
- 11:40 'Witch-hunt' claim as Labour leader reacts to meeting on Arch concerns
- 11:40 This former Birmingham City man is on the lookout for yet ANOTHER club
- 11:40 Man stabbed in Shrewsbury town centre in broad daylight at 8.30am...
- 11:40 Two dead after horror Market Drayton crash involving motorbike and...
- 11:39 Fancy a new build home in Mansfield Woodhouse?
- 11:39 Joan Hoggett death: Top prosecutor urges people to have their say...
- 11:39 Police are hunting this taxi driver after hit and run in York
- 11:38 Gainsborough sight loss support group issues call for volunteers