Renationalisation would damage economy, warns CBI
Renationalisation of large parts of the economy would "seriously harm" the UK's reputation as a place to invest, a leading business group has warned.
CBI President, Paul Drechsler, told business leaders that such calls were driven by ideology, rather than facts.
"Era-defining choices" must be based on what is best for jobs, investment and living standards in the UK, he said.
The Labour Party has called for water, energy, and rail services to be brought under government control.
Shadow chancellor John McDonnell told the BBC last month that renationalising these services... read more
- 05:57 The top 11 greatest Grimsby Facebook moments
- 05:57 Clowning around at annual show
- 05:51 Sergej Milinkovic-Savic: Why Man Utd and Man City WON'T sign star...
- 05:40 World Cup 2018: Germany boss Joachim Low reacts to Toni Kroos’...
- 05:38 Cannabis crisis: Police seizing almost £500,000-worth of drugs a week
- 05:38 The sunshine summer destination where hotels are cheaper during the...
- 05:38 Aston Villa's summer plans are taking shape - but answers are still...
- 05:34 Anger as the Coconut Grove planning 'saga' rumbles on
- 05:34 Shocking figures show ONE IN FIVE hospital staff attacked in...
- 05:34 Businessman's BOLD plan to tackle aggressive begging in Mathew Street
- 05:33 Nominations for Notts police officer of the year now open
- 05:33 The notorious Hull killers who killed themselves
- 05:32 World Cup boost for Greene King
- 05:27 What impact has Donald Trump had on illegal immigration?
- 05:27 How many words do you need to speak a language?
- 05:27 Kenya's 'contaminated sugar' row: What we know
- 05:27 Europe migrants: Can the EU reach a new deal?
- 05:19 Councillor explains why department looking after Leicestershire's...
- 05:16 In the courts of Lincolnshire
- 05:16 Could a new supermarket open near you? Aldi and Lidl reveal where...
- 05:16 These are the six types of jellyfish in the UK - and here's what to...
- 05:09 Obituary: Suman Virk, the mother who forgave her daughter's killer
- 05:09 Searching for Burma's forgotten World War Two heroes
- 05:08 Prince William makes historic visit to Middle East
- 05:01 You're on your own, US tells Syrian rebels, as Assad goes on offensive
- 04:41 20 years for man who raped and murdered student
- 04:37 Thousands raised for Great North Air Ambulance at charity ball
- 04:32 Boy, 15, stabbed to death after fight at party in east London
- 04:13 Turkey election: Erdogan seeks second term in hard-fought contest
- 04:12 'Shoppertainment': How department stores are becoming 'theatres of...