Region’s crime levels up 12% on last year, figures reveal
Recorded crime has risen by 12% in the Borders, figures released by Police Scotland this week reveal.
The increase, the third largest recorded by the country’s 32 local authorities, saw the region’s recorded crime total hit 3,448 for the 2017-18 period.
That’s the second consecutive year that crime rates have risen in the Borders.
The largest increase was seen in sexual crimes, up 26%, followed by crimes of dishonesty, up 10%, and wilful fire-raising and vandalism, up 7%.
Non-sexual crimes of violence were down, but there was a marked increase in the number of car thefts, housebreaking and... read more
- 09:56 Afghanistan delays Kandahar vote after Gen Raziq killed
- 09:55 Hospitals struggling to cope with prostate cancer referrals
- 09:54 Latest crime figures show hundreds more offences across Harborough...
- 09:54 Wakefield woman missing from hospital has been found
- 09:54 Hospitals struggling to cope with prostate cancer referrals
- 09:54 Government borrowing in September lowest since 2007
- 09:54 Support for new Sheffield football stadium plans
- 09:54 Doncaster girl missing from home for five days
- 09:54 Warwick dad hopes sharing his experiences will inspire others to adopt
- 09:54 Netflix set for big price change - and it's good news for millions
- 09:54 Housebuilder launches latest phase of new homes at Lichfield...
- 09:53 Hospitals struggling to cope with prostate cancer referrals
- 09:53 Burnley teen lost job after drink-driving charge
- 09:53 Warwick dad hopes sharing his experiences will inspire others to adopt
- 09:53 Family behind 4 Paws face catalogue of shocking animal cruelty...
- 09:53 Ex-Chipping Norton police worker convicted of making indecent...
- 09:52 Treasured Wetherby store to close ending four generations
- 09:52 Daisy Pulls It Off at Blockley Amateur Dramatic Company
- 09:51 Win a pair of VIP tickets to the Pride of Britain Awards 2018 -...
- 09:51 The bizarre reason Meghan Markle and Prince Harry won't legally...
- 09:50 Wayne Rooney picks out one thing everyone gets wrong about...
- 09:49 PlayStation usernames: The stories behind the most embarrassing ones
- 09:47 Growth centre to bring 230 jobs and £20m boost to Harborough
- 09:45 Lakeside and Metrocentre owner boosted by £2.9bn bid
- 09:44 More than 40,000 attacks on public sector staff for third year...
- 09:43 Blessed Trinity's magical Hogwarts-themed open evening
- 09:43 Car bursts into flames
- 09:42 Fire breaks out in building on Sulgrave Road in New Humberstone
- 09:42 Jury reaches verdict over missing mum killed by police van sent to...
- 09:42 Sheffield sex attacker still on the streets