Refuse staff could continue downing tools till Christmas
BIN workers in Birmingham could roll their strike through to Christmas if the city council refuses to stop plans to dump a fifth of the refuse workforce and slash wages by up to £5,000 a year.
Refuse workers who are members of union Unite have been staging sporadic strikes for more than six weeks — and Unite said yesterday that the industrial action could go on for months.
Rubbish has piled up in the city’s streets, attracting rats and maggots, but the Labour council insists its plans to re-grade jobs, cut wages, and sack around 120 staff are needed to meet Westminster funding cuts.
Unite... read more
- 16:46 No.79 bus torched in Bilston arson attack
- 16:44 Case of four men accused of conspiracy to murder John Louden adjourned
- 16:44 Liam and Chloe families to wait at least a year for bomb blast inquest
- 16:42 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw signs new five-year deal
- 16:41 Watch as workers at High Peak factory take strike action in pay...
- 16:38 Learn more about town school at open day
- 16:37 Leeds takeaway fined for selling cheaper beef and claiming it was lamb
- 16:37 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 16:35 £100k of illegally salvaged metal taken from Sunderland-built First...
- 16:35 Victims in double stabbing in Melton among 3 men arrested by police
- 16:35 Sickening moment Land Rover smashes through HOSPITAL as masked men...
- 16:35 Three things police want to know in connection with the Wavertree...
- 16:35 ‘Lunatic’ driver had son, 8, in car when he sped through Sheffield...
- 16:33 Leeds takeaway fined for selling cheaper beef and claiming it was lamb
- 16:33 'Not enough progress' as Theresa May insists Brexit deal still...
- 16:33 Playgrounds officially opened
- 16:33 Husband reveals Dame Tessa Jowell’s last words were ‘love forever’...
- 16:31 Northampton primary school rated ‘Good’ in all areas by Ofsted
- 16:31 MPs call for FCA probe into Clydesdale Bank’s tailored business loans
- 16:31 Shortlist announced for Halifax Courier Business Awards 2018
- 16:30 A 'hand grenade' under police force - says chief on pension changes
- 16:30 The Peaky Blinders pledge allegiance to Celtic as Arthur Shelby...
- 16:30 MPs call for FCA probe into Clydesdale Bank’s tailored business loans
- 16:28 Parents outraged after school secretly served up kangaroo chilli...
- 16:29 Nailers suffer FA Trophy defeat in Stamford replay
- 16:28 Soldier caught trying to smuggle migrants into Britain in his boot...
- 16:28 This man’s just been barred from every pub in central London
- 16:28 Burnley pupils serve up home-made treats to raise cash for charity
- 16:28 Guard your business from cyber attack
- 16:27 Vote for your favourite dog-friendly pub in the East Midlands