Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic are Australian Open favourites, claims defending champion Roger Federer
A 36-year-old, argued Roger Federer, should not be favourite to win the Australian Open.
Yet making a case for any other man in the draw is almost impossible.
Rafael Nadal in particular could play himself into that role but he has not contested a match since November because of knee troubles while the fitness of six-time champion Novak Djokovic is even more uncertain after six months out with an elbow injury.
Federer, of course, knows that such transformations are eminently possible after returning from his own injury hiatus 12 months ago to win a stunning 18th grand slam title.
This time... read more
- 12:11 Walney library to teach children about computer coding
- 12:11 UVHS student heading to Oxford after acing A Levels
- 12:10 Derelict Halifax nightclub to be transformed into 80-bedroom hotel
- 12:09 Arizona students' stand on gun control switches to voter registration
- 12:09 Elon Musk denies being ‘on weed’ when posting $420 stock tweet
- 12:09 A few changes...
- 12:09 Change your routine for dog’s sake
- 12:08 Over 800 people sign petition to save 200-year-old pub
- 12:08 Man caught with 630,000 pictures of child sex abuse that he shared...
- 12:08 Up to 15,000 people expected at Doncaster Pride event
- 12:07 Annual celebration of Sunderland music talent returns with free...
- 12:07 Banbury Irish FC want to celebrate milestone with you
- 12:07 Over 800 people sign petition to save 200-year-old pub
- 12:06 These are each Royal Family member's A level results - Prince...
- 12:06 Motorist caught driving high on cocaine twice in 12 days
- 12:06 Burnley estate agent set to get fund raising idea off his chest
- 12:05 RECENT NOSTALGIA: Boston day nursery welcome Tae Kwon Do group
- 12:05 Drink driver gets three-year ban for offence in Boston
- 12:04 Darren Moore discusses Allan Nyom's imminent West Brom exit - and...
- 12:03 Ariana Grande's Sweetener track by track: The stories behind the songs
- 12:02 Lancaster councillor calls for internal inquiry after saucy emails...
- 12:02 My ex has a new partner but says he still loves me
- 12:01 Shots fired at houses in two parts of Doncaster
- 12:01 Rescuers highlight importance of work
- 12:01 Health union urges Scottish Government to break with pay review body
- 12:00 Officials release statement after large fire in Bracebridge Heath...
- 11:59 Durham sign banned Australia opener Cameron Bancroft for 2019 season
- 11:59 Manchester City provide worrying Kevin de Bruyne injury update
- 11:59 Burnley estate agent set to get fund raising idea off his chest
- 11:58 Walney field study events to record local wildlife