Protesters enter Macedonia parliament after ethnic Albanian elected as speaker -witnesses
Protesters entered Macedonia's parliament after the governing Social Democrats and ethnic Albanian parties voted to elect an Albanian as parliament speaker on Thursday, witnesses said.
A Reuters witness said a nationalist crowd angered over the move sallied shortly afterwards into the main chamber of parliament in the capital Skopje, though no violence was seen.
Talat Xhaferi became the first ethnic Albanian parliament speaker in Macedonia since the small Balkan country won independence from then-Yugoslavia in 1991. Macedonia went to the brink of civil war during an insurgency by minority... read more
- 05:40 Sydney man accused of meat grinder bomb plot was trying to prevent...
- 05:40 Metal detectorist digs up ROLEX - but can't find owner's family
- 05:40 'Our dad needs £25k to stay alive' - family's cancer heartache as...
- 05:40 The number of flashers and peeping toms in Birmingham has soared
- 05:40 The heartbreaking wait for treatment for Birmingham's cancer patients
- 05:39 Climate change: Water shortages in England 'within 25 years'
- 05:36 Liverpool has highest rates of flashers and peeping toms in Merseyside
- 05:36 Merseyside's newest McDonald's has revealed its official opening date
- 05:36 Number of children admitted to Alder Hey Hospital with stab wounds...
- 05:30 A Gainsborough family are raising funds and awareness of SUDEP...
- 05:30 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:27 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:25 The 'dog whistling' on immigration must stop, Bill Shorten says
- 05:22 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:18 Indonesia election mired in claims of foreign hacking and 'ghost'...
- 05:18 'I was raised an American': Liberians await possible deportation...
- 05:18 Exit Brussels? The UK civil servants under a fog of uncertainty
- 05:16 ‘Fine, dry and mild’ in today’s weather- well, it’s about time
- 05:16 Capital’s Bruce Group eyes Central Belt pubs on back of £20m bond bid
- 05:02 KCOM call centre worker steals £16,000 and blows it on food and...
- 05:00 Nigel Farage will not be marching through Retford area as part of...
- 05:00 Used wet wipes and unwanted sofas - the bizarre rubbish dumped in...
- 05:00 Number of peeping toms and flashers reported to police on the rise
- 04:58 Newborn baby found in Oxford hospital toilets
- 04:56 Tragic Glasgow dad hit headlines as football mobile phone thief...
- 04:56 Community sickened by horrific slashing of vulnerable Scot in...
- 04:52 Christchurch shootings: Ardern vows never to say suspect's name
- 04:50 A celebration of Scotland's Munros and the man who listed them
- 04:50 NHS infection and safety inquiry begins at Holyrood
- 04:50 Emiliano Sala plane crash: Call to investigate more flights