Private firms axed from new Scottish welfare tests for benefit claimants
Scotland’s new social security agency will carry out its own assessments of benefit claims in a move that confirms an end to the controversial involvement of private sector firms in the process.
It comes after widespread anger over the hardline approach of Atos towards welfare claimants in recent years.
Social security minister Shirley Anne Somerville has also said Scots will have “greater choice and flexibility over their assessments”, as she addressed MSPs yesterday.
Holyrood is to take control of 11 benefits as part of the post-referendum deal on new powers for Holyrood. This accounts... read more
- 09:20 Charity demands MPs take action on recording ex-military suicides
- 09:19 Labour MP Ian Austin quits party
- 09:19 Leeds football team have £6,000 worth of cash, phones and watches...
- 09:19 Firefighters called to car fire near Stretton on Dunsmore
- 09:18 St Johnstone looking to pick up where they left off against Rangers
- 09:18 Dundee look to pile the pressure on relegation rivals
- 09:18 Falkirk ready to go ‘toe to toe’ with Dundee United
- 09:18 Five tips to improve your home safety
- 09:18 Championship news and rumours: Liverpool and Everton remain...
- 09:18 The Shift: Women on the Force - when it is on and where to watch it
- 09:17 16 and 17 year olds could be banned from buying scratchcards
- 09:17 Pilot scheme to support St Helens children and families before they...
- 09:17 St Helens Council to offer financial support to care leavers
- 09:17 Temperatures continue to soar with a sunny weekend forecast for...
- 09:16 Man in hospital following another stabbing in broad daylight in...
- 09:16 Piling work on former Futurist site is now complete
- 09:15 Residents flee from Halifax building as fire breaks out in flat
- 09:15 Fly-past marks 75 years since bomber plane crashed to ‘save life of...
- 09:14 Live as police seal off Albion Street and launch major investigation
- 09:14 Europa League Draw dates: When will Chelsea and Arsenal be in last...
- 09:13 Puffin numbers on the Farne Islands rally after initial concern
- 09:11 Live: Area of Fosse Park cordoned off by police
- 09:11 This week’s fascinating pictures of Worksop’s past
- 09:11 Stacey Solomon pregnant with Joe Swash's baby after meeting on I'm...
- 09:11 Jordyn Woods 'apologises' to Kardashian-Jenners after Tristan...
- 09:11 MP Ian Austin quits Labour party with scathing criticism of...
- 09:11 The Shift: Women on the Force - when it is on and where to watch it
- 09:10 Football transfer rumours: Marcus Rashford wanted by Barcelona?
- 09:09 Dozens of Tory MPs ready to block no-deal Brexit, May warned
- 09:09 Provident Financial gets £1.3bn bid from rival NSF